LGBTQ+ Supporters club Commitee members wanted

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Katie Wilson
Silver Member
Silver Member

LGBTQ+ Supporters club Commitee members wanted

Post by Katie Wilson »

Just a quick note, if you or anyone you know might be interested in becoming part of a committee for the newly formed LGBTQ+ supporters club - please contact me.
Katie

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: LGBTQ+ Supporters club Commitee members wanted

Post by anthony.brown »

Nice to see an organised group of Hitchin Town supporters. Nicer still if there was a supporters' club for fans of all and every persuasion. An exclusive group seems to be putting the cart before the horse?
Katie Wilson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Katie Wilson »

Anyone would be welcome to join :-)
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

No thank you. I would not want to be a member of any group that would allow me to join it (except an all-inclusive one, of course). I am sure forum members will know that I am just trying to get a little discussion going on a forum where little happens.
Katie Wilson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Katie Wilson »

Ok no problem. You could always start up a Hitchin Town Supporters club :-)

The Hitchin Town LGBTQ+supporters club is now a registered associate member of the Football Supporters Association.
Attachments
hitchintownlgbtqsccertificate-2.png
Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

Going forward, the whole issue of supporter engagement is still one that I hope will become part of the Club's vision for the future.

There is currently a Supporters' "Trust" but this currently has a single remit of raising money to help with the playing budget. I was part of the team of four who resurrected the Hitchin Town Supporters Club in 1999, and it ran until it disbanded in 2020.

It would be great to see a Supporters Club started up again - but having been part of it for 20 years, the first ten of which I was Membership Secretary and then Vice-Chairman, I can say that it needs enthusiasm, energy, time and sustainability to ensure such a concern runs properly. Also, as suggested by Neil Jensen in 2006 which was met at the time with my gasp of shock horror, the Club should have one supporter body, not two running in tandem. Seventeen years on I agree with him fully!

However it works in the future - all supporters need to feel that they can come together as one and feel included. But if it is to happen, it needs people who have the commitment, energy and time to make it work from the Supporters' side of things. Of course if set up properly, there can be separate groups with separate support mechanisms and interests, but ultimately these might feed into one separate supporter body that engages with the Club's management. And I can see that you've registered the Hitchin Town LGBTQ+ Supporters Club with the Football Supporters Association as an Associate member Katie - I wish you all the best with establishing this.

Food for thought and discussion..................at the end of it all, we're all there to support our team on the pitch!
Katie Wilson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Katie Wilson »

I would hate to think that anyone who didn't see themselves as LGBTQ+ excluded. The LGBTQ+ is so that those who are LGBTQ+ see visibly that they are wanted and welcomed but not as a sign that others aren't.

I spent my early years watching Chelmsford City down at New Writtle Street from the age of about 6. So non league football has lots of memories for me - first with my Dad, then with my mates.

I've probably been a bit over keen, in starting the supporters club ( lol), but having the opportunity to go somewhere where I feel safe enough to go, is incredible and to engage with football being my true self isn't something that I always dreamed about but never in a million years ever thought possible.

I would love it if anyone with previous experience in the supporters club or anyone else would like to join, and everybody can learn together

If possible the aim is to promote an image that this football club is a safe space, where everyone is welcome and the message is Equality, Diversity and Inclusion.

This hasn't and still isn't the case for many people in the LGBTQ+ community who love football wherever they live.

I will be in the bar from around 2pm on the 13th April ( Halesowen game) if anyone wants to come and say hello, and we can take it from there.

Katie
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Katie Wilson wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:09 pm having the opportunity to go somewhere where I feel safe enough to go, is incredible and to engage with football being my true self isn't something that I always dreamed about but never in a million years ever thought possible.
That's great to read and what Hitchin Town FC is all about.

It should be the same everywhere but I appreciate that reality isn't always how we would wish it to be.

Unfortunately I won't be at the game on 13th. Enjoy the match.
Katie Wilson
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Katie Wilson »

Thank you Brian, I am looking forward to it, the more I go the easier it becomes. I am really excited about the future. I have had contact with Stephen Hyde, he is the Diversity Director of the southern league ( it's a new position recently created), he was keen to hear some of my ideas, on how to make football " A game for all ".

One of the things that I have done is to create a small booklet, that can be either downloaded or printed off. I've sent it to him and other organisations such as football v homophobia and kick it out, as well as Hannah Kumari who is the diversity campaign manager for the FSA.

I'm hoping may be next year when things are more established to print some of and hand them out .
If anyone wishes to have a digital version please message me.
Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

Chris_N wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:53 pm
It would be great to see a Supporters Club started up again - but having been part of it for 20 years, the first ten of which I was Membership Secretary and then Vice-Chairman, I can say that it needs enthusiasm, energy, time and sustainability to ensure such a concern runs properly. Also, as suggested by Neil Jensen in 2006 which was met at the time with my gasp of shock horror, the Club should have one supporter body, not two running in tandem. Seventeen years on I agree with him fully!

However it works in the future - all supporters need to feel that they can come together as one and feel included.
Food for thought and discussion..................at the end of it all, we're all there to support our team on the pitch!
:iagree:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic