Charles Worbey: The Link Man

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Charles Worbey: The Link Man

Post by anthony.brown »

A player for Hitchin and Hertfordshire in Edwardian times, and a committee man in the 1928 revival. I'll add further details of this important figure in Club history if anyone is interested.
Last edited by anthony.brown on Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Charles Worbey: The Link Man

Post by Brian »

Related to Brian Worbey?
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Perhaps I should leave this thread until we know if the current family members (grandchildren and great nephews and nieces) are happy to let me continue!
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

anthony.brown wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:52 pm Perhaps I should leave this thread until we know if the current family members (grandchildren and great nephews and nieces) are happy to let me continue!
Don't quite understand the response Anthony.

I don't see any reason why you would need permission from anyone to post about people that are part of the clubs history and helped shape the clubs future.

It was just an inquisitive question as to whether he might be related to another club volunteer and stalwart, Brian Worbey.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Charles Worbey was born in Hitchin on 10th Feb 1879. He died on 11th July 1957, aged 78, and is interred at Hitchin's St Johns Road cemetery, within yards of William Tindall Lucas, William Hill, and Francis Shillitoe.
He was a full-back on the right or left, and I've found a few Hitchin Town FC matches in which he was involved.
28th Sep 1901 Hitchin 3 Clapton Orient 4 (left-back)
12th Oct 1901 Luton Reserves 10 Hitchin 1
28th Dec 1901 St Albans Amateurs 3 Hitchin 1
13th Dec 1902 Hitchin 6 Cheshunt 2
10th Jan 1903 Luton Reserves 1 Hitchin 1

For Hertfordshire County team:
19th Feb 1902 Middx 4 Herts 1 (right-back)
6th Mar 1902 Herts 8 Suffolk 3 (right-back)

Belgian Charity Game
31st May 1919 Hitchin United 2 Henlow 1 (inside-right!)

In 1928 he was elected to the Hitchin Town FC selection committee, from which he resigned in 1930. He explained his resignation at the Club's annual meeting on Wednesday 25th June 1930, thus:
"The general committee became alarmed when I advocated a semi-professional team. My name was omitted from the selection committee (of which Mr Worbey was a member), and so unpleasant did it become that I resigned." Len Hart, the chairman of the committee did not agree with Charles Worbey's comments saying that for some time the selection committee had ceased to operate, as the whole committee had resigned, and when it re-formed Mr Worbey was not elected, and may not have even been proposed.
Hertfordshire Express Saturday 28th June 1930.

On 1st May 1929, at the age of 51, he played in 'an amusing match' raising funds for Hitchin Hospital. He captained the Hitchin Town FC Committee team against a team from the Hitchin Supporters' Club (a 3-2 win for the Supporters' Club).
Beds & Herts Pictorial Tuesday 7th May 1929

A market gardener, he supplied the town with vegetables, his potato crop often being raided by the locals.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic