Next season ?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

mattf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Next season ?

Post by mattf »

DarrenW wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:57 pm
Bob_the_builder wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 pm Gutted is an understatement after today’s result!

I honestly can’t believe that Hitchin Town FC has come to this..

What I find most frustrating is that the fans never hear from the board about anything, we just seem to amble from season to season with the same stuck in our ways attitude.

Our fans deserve far better
I cant disagree. 30 years a fan and I want to see change but respect to the current management on the board for keeping us at this level but something really has to change. The idea of playing Stotfold (With the greatest of respect to them as they have done great) in a league game a few years ago was ridiculous.

If you look at Stotfold there forward thinking in there ambitions and achieved with it. I cant see that with us right now and this has nothing to do with whose on the pitch. Just need to see 3 points since Christmas.

If it was a comedy show at least I could laugh.

I want the best for the club and think change needs to come now. Simply for the good of the club which we all support.
I've tried my best to articulate this without it coming across as a rant (apologies if it seems like one!!) but I think a lot of what's been said over the last 48 hours is (somewhat understandably) reactionary and said in anger at the relegation.

We can't lie that we've been struggling to sustain any kind of long-term form on the pitch at step 3 arguably since we lost to Leamington since the playoff final back in 2017, but to claim that there weren't ambitions to play at a higher level by those involved behind the scenes at the club are unfair. Of course, a disastrous run of form in 2024 has ended in relegation and a lot of questioning of those on the committee and ownership, but the advances off the pitch in certain areas over the last 5 years shouldn't be ignored.

The work put in by volunteers to improve the clubs marketing and visibility is beginning to pay dividends with more people coming along to Top Field to enjoy the improved matchday experience. The catering is unrecognisable from what it used to be, plus hard work behind the scenes to try and forge a closer link to it's youth structure has meant a huge increase in youngsters attending games with their parents. The incredible work put in (mainly) by Stew and Paul on the merchandising side means that the club shop is now becoming a viable source of income for the club both online and offline, plus we can't forget the work put in to get the new stand in behind the goal. Although it's upset a few supporters over the years, the matchday ticketing system has been a success overall, and now the recent introduction of a ticket window by Paul and Chris has hopefully helped to alleviate the disappointment of fans who wish to pay on the gate without having to book online. It's also worth mentioning arguably the best volunteer groundstaff at Step 3/4 - you won't find a better pitch that's been meticulously prepared week in, week out by Steve and his team - and the work of Marac and Freddie with HTFC Radio so that fans unable to get to games can tune in.

I'm really gutted about how things have gone this season as well - I haven't enjoyed the performances on the pitch in 2024 and i'm as disappointed and angered by the relegation as most fans seem to be. I also respect that relegation is the time for fans to be critical of the club in how they've handed certain aspects of this season (and possibly longer term), but saying that the club haven't tried to progress over the last few years is laughable. The progress off the pitch has been commendable in many areas, thanks to the hard work of a few dozen people that contribute many hours of unpaid work to ensure that fans have a club to enjoy coming to each week.

Fans have every right to question things - I have questions myself about the way certain things have been handled by the club in recent years. But some of the hyperbolic finger pointing on the forum and social media channels is beginning to verge on the ridiculous. Some people seem to want to believe there's an ulterior motive behind everything at the club & it's eventually led to our demise on the pitch - I really don't think that's the case, here. A mixture of bad luck and form, injuries to key players, extreme loss of confidence and probably making a managerial change a month too late ended in relegation to step 4.

We've taken a big step backwards on the pitch, but this might be the hard reset that was needed. Brett now has an opportunity to build his side and mold them into promotion hopefuls next season. Let's get behind him and the club, this summer.

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

mattf wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:23 pm
Bob_the_builder wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 pm Gutted is an understatement after today’s result!

What I find most frustrating is that the fans never hear from the board about anything, we just seem to amble from season to season with the same stuck in our ways attitude.

I cant disagree. 30 years a fan and I want to see change but respect to the current management on the board for keeping us at this level but something really has to change. The idea of playing Stotfold (With the greatest of respect to them as they have done great) in a league game a few years ago was ridiculous.

If you look at Stotfold there forward thinking in there ambitions and achieved with it. I cant see that with us right now and this has nothing to do with whose on the pitch. Just need to see 3 points since Christmas.

I want the best for the club and think change needs to come now. Simply for the good of the club which we all support.
I've tried my best to articulate this without it coming across as a rant (apologies if it seems like one!!) but I think a lot of what's been said over the last 48 hours is (somewhat understandably) reactionary and said in anger at the relegation.

We can't lie that we've been struggling to sustain any kind of long-term form on the pitch at step 3 arguably since we lost to Leamington since the playoff final back in 2017, but to claim that there weren't ambitions to play at a higher level by those involved behind the scenes at the club are unfair. Of course, a disastrous run of form in 2024 has ended in relegation and a lot of questioning of those on the committee and ownership, but the advances off the pitch in certain areas over the last 5 years shouldn't be ignored.

The work put in by volunteers to improve the clubs marketing and visibility is beginning to pay dividends with more people coming along to Top Field to enjoy the improved matchday experience. The catering is unrecognisable from what it used to be, plus hard work behind the scenes to try and forge a closer link to it's youth structure has meant a huge increase in youngsters attending games with their parents. The incredible work put in (mainly) by Stew and Paul on the merchandising side means that the club shop is now becoming a viable source of income for the club both online and offline, plus we can't forget the work put in to get the new stand in behind the goal. Although it's upset a few supporters over the years, the matchday ticketing system has been a success overall, and now the recent introduction of a ticket window by Paul and Chris has hopefully helped to alleviate the disappointment of fans who wish to pay on the gate without having to book online. It's also worth mentioning arguably the best volunteer groundstaff at Step 3/4 - you won't find a better pitch that's been meticulously prepared week in, week out by Steve and his team - and the work of Marac and Freddie with HTFC Radio so that fans unable to get to games can tune in.

I'm really gutted about how things have gone this season as well - I haven't enjoyed the performances on the pitch in 2024 and i'm as disappointed and angered by the relegation as most fans seem to be. I also respect that relegation is the time for fans to be critical of the club in how they've handed certain aspects of this season (and possibly longer term), but saying that the club haven't tried to progress over the last few years is laughable. The progress off the pitch has been commendable in many areas, thanks to the hard work of a few dozen people that contribute many hours of unpaid work to ensure that fans have a club to enjoy coming to each week.

Fans have every right to question things - I have questions myself about the way certain things have been handled by the club in recent years. But some of the hyperbolic finger pointing on the forum and social media channels is beginning to verge on the ridiculous. Some people seem to want to believe there's an ulterior motive behind everything at the club & it's eventually led to our demise on the pitch - I really don't think that's the case, here. A mixture of bad luck and form, injuries to key players, extreme loss of confidence and probably making a managerial change a month too late ended in relegation to step 4.

We've taken a big step backwards on the pitch, but this might be the hard reset that was needed. Brett now has an opportunity to build his side and mold them into promotion hopefuls next season. Let's get behind him and the club, this summer.
:iagree: :goodposting:
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

mattf wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:23 pm

Firstly thank you for replying. It's a 30 year thing that the club has been run prudent and appears to me we should be in a position to push on with increasing attendances and we have gone the opposite way. Im sure you can get that along with alot of our support. Something has gone wrong. With the trust money being donated many clubs simply do not have this.

The volunteer set up it's never been this good in my time supporting and being involved with the club and credit to all of them that do. It's been amazing how that has come on.

Your last paragraph could be perfect but getting promoted straight away will not be as easy as it once was. A hard rethink about things might be what's needed I agree.

For all the things you have said the team need the right investment on the pitch.
Mr Refreshment
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Mr Refreshment »

Ambition and a desire to succeed is what is needed not just mulling along.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Hard to disagree with any of the points above.. if I can add one thing its that when people talk about the ambition / running of the club over the past few years I think there's a distinction to be made between off pitch (incredible) and on pitch (confusing).
The turnover of players since Covid has been so high (it could be the same for other clubs at this level I don't know) that it's really hard to see how we can have any continuity in the side. Dan Idakhoa was one that really hurt this season - our most creative midfidler, at a time we were already on the slide, and he left for a team in a lower league. I'm pretty certain there must have been valid reasons for this to do with academies / parent clubs etc but as fans turning up on a Saturday that's I think where there is a bit of frustration - not so much spending wildly beyond our means, but holding on to the players who are performing so we can see a settled team.
SimonP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SimonP »

Some interesting and points being made. On the point about struggling since the play off loss , I thought last season (as in 2022-23, not 2023-24) we had turned a corner and for the first time since the break up of the play off team looked to be a far more balanced team rather than relying on 1-2 "star" players that inevitably moved on. I was really happy with recruitment for this season which seemed to show in results for the first few months. Clearly injuries (Ciaren for a good chunk of the season, Diogo, LB) upset that momentum. It looks as if management were slow to recognise the need for decisive action to turn things around, although I don't know to what extent we have been particularly unlucky with such a cluster of player departures in the second half of the season. Arnold & particularly Dan moving to Dunstable did massively impact our attacking threat (at the risk of being petty, I am glad they missed out on promotion). There then seemed to be a conveyor belt of players coming in an out . I thought Tommy Blennerhassett, Nathan Frater, a returning Josh Popoola might bring about an upturn in form not only did that not happen but we seem to be left in the dark about these players departing. I often look at postings where supporters are looking for more information from the management committee and think that the requests are a bit over zealous and unrealistic, but it does seem to me open and timely disclosure of departing players is something supporters deserve. If memory serves me correct (and it often does not) I think Dan was the only player whose departure was promptly reported. Hopefully lessons will be learned, as ever I am aware that as a punter whose involvement does not really go much further than paying my money and turning up, the running of the club involves a huge amounts of effort behind the scenes whose dedication cannot be questioned. Whilst there can be no doubting how hard it is to get back up to Step 3 I hope we are able to recruit/retain the players who can give it a decent shot.
Piltdown
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Piltdown »

I must be missing something here, people pointing fingers at the board for not enough ambition etc, if I am blaming them for anything it's for keeping the previous manager 4 years to long!!
It was mentioned that we have gone downhill since losing in the play offs which is true .
Since then it has been one relegation battle after another, have people forgot how bad the manager was last season and even worse the season before??
We had the happy clappers saying " good old mark he won't let it happen ' have faith in him!! yeah that worked out didn't it
He is to blame for the relegation, he bought in the players, he chose the tactics ( or lack of)
He was the one making the subs , he was the one with no plan b ,yes we started well but reverted back to normal and that is his fault and no one elses!
So it's not a surprise we are relegated ,the only surprise is it wasn't sooner .
He got out before he actually took us down as the manager!!
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Some good debate here and good to see the forum having some life pumped into it.

One thing I feel the new manager needs to do and I know Brett is the right person to do this, is bring the players, management and supporters closer together again.

Brett will engage with supporters and media, and will be very open in his answers.

His honesty during his interview with Layth and Freddie's after Saturday's game was refreshing albeit painful to hear.
Bob_the_builder

Post by Bob_the_builder »

I fully Agree that the amount of hard work put in by the ground staff and other volunteers has been nothing short of incredible but at the end of the day it’s a results business and that’s what’s been lacking for a good few years now.

A club with the stature as ours shouldn’t be in this position end of!

But as I said I think Brett is definitely the man for the job as he has the desire & ambition.

I just hope the board back him all the way
SimonP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SimonP »

In reply to Piltdown's comments about Mark , I would not describe myself as a happy clapper but would argue that things are not that black and white. Coming off the back of a reasonably successful 2022-23 season I think most people were pleasantly surprised about who we retained, with Jack Morell & Josh Colidcott Stevens being the only major departures. In the opening few months of the season the players we had and the quick passing game we played were successful until injuries, departures and a loss of confidence had a heavy toll. Clearly it is the job of management to deal with such eventualities and adapt in the same way it is the job of management to adapt in games that are not going our way and change the team selection & tactics , both of which probably happened too slowly. But I think the ingredients ,in terms of player recruitment, were there for a top half finish before an element of bad luck, exacerbated by a sluggish response to it , derailed our season.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic