Next season ?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Next season ?

Post by Chris_N »

Have been reading all the postings. Very interesting.

I've been supporting the Club since 1990, been involved in volunteering/helping for the past 23 years. I've experienced three relegations and in all honesty. this is the one I feel least downbeat about. I absolutely 100% love Brett's honesty in this week's bulletin - it's exactly how I feel.

Matt that was a great posting as well. It also says much of what I feel, very frustrating coming home from games every Saturday having lost. But as you've said, we should all embrace this as an opportunity to reset and really go forward with positivity. I am pleased that you have highlighted just how much has been done in the past five years, with the ground, the merchandise in the Club Shop and online and the ticketing, which although as you say has "upset a few supporters over the years" - what many don't understand, nor do they wish to understand, is that it was put in place during and post Covid so that with the absolute strain on volunteer capacity we would at least be able to cope, and it is still the case that buying online if you can is a win win situation. It also ensures that the Club's money is straight into the bank. It is good now that we have been able to better accommodate those who might have difficulty buying online and it does afford us more flexibility.

I would also like to add that the work that Paul has done since being on board has been quite phenomenal - with the ground, taking the whole merchandise and Club Shop operations to a new level, and in many other aspects of the Club's operation. There are certain folks who help the club who spend hours and hours of their own time to not only keep the club running, but also to continually look at ways of improving it. And let's not forget the incredible amount of work that Stewart Curtis did in establishing a completely new brand that enabled our massive step forward in the merchandising market, signage and our whole outlook which is now so much more professional. Stew is still helping where he can with design matters.

I can honestly say that over the past season, for the first time since I have been involved, I see the club actively looking to the future and thinking and planning about where it will aspire to be in five years time. All the intentions will be great and I am sure that we will see a clear focus and plan. Then the challenge starts because it will need the right people with the right skills to develop and deliver. And more than just a couple of people. Brett is right that the culture of not changing things needs to go, everyone being on the same page, and aiming high should be our vision. Ultimately though, each and every one of us needs to be committed to doing what is best for the Club and not just ourselves.

Funny I was looking through a load of old programmes this morning as I was continuing my loft tidy. I came across a programme from early 2000 when we travelled to Hemel Hempstead in a Herts Charity Cup game. At the time Hemel were two divisions below us. Today they are two divisions above us. Why? What have they done in the past 23 years that we haven't? Can we learn from it? They've been at Step 2 for some time now. And as I see it, this is exactly what Brett seems to be saying: "If they can do it, what's our excuse"? We should surely be punching alongside them.

So we will go into 2024/25 with renewed hope and a vision. Our supporters have been quite fantastic over the past season and the 1141 at the Stourbridge game was unbelievable. But if we are to get it right - as I see it it needs everyone to think 5 years on. Where do you see the Club? More importantly, where do you see yourself? If the answer to that is doing exactly the same as you are doing now....you've missed the point.

ian.taylor
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ian.taylor »

What division are we going to be in next season ?
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

ian.taylor wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 4:13 pm What division are we going to be in next season ?
Hi Ian

Good to hear from you.

I'm guessing Southern League Division One Central with Stotfold, Barton Rovers, Ware, Biggleswade FC and Hertford Town.
mattf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mattf »

Current league projections are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... k/htmlview#
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

In five years time I'll be 79! I was hoping we would be heading onwards and upwards, but relegation is always a risk, and we'll have to deal with it. All supporters deserve praise for their loyalty, perhaps, and some should not be dismissed as 'happy clappers'.................................
Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

mattf wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:57 pm Current league projections are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... k/htmlview#
So there's every chance that Real Bedford and Biggleswade FC might be going to the Northern Premier League.

If we stay in the Southern, looks then like Didcot and Flackwell Heath will be our longest journeys, assuming they are in the Central Division.

We'll also be playing Leverstock Green who won their Step 5 playoff today. Also possible that Enfield FC will be shunted across from the Isthmian.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Would be nice to go back to Enfield - their ground is a modernist curiosity.
SimonP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SimonP »

Bedford's win yesterday means we are unlikely to see a Brett v Callum touchline dust up next season. Possibly no bad thing.
mattf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mattf »

SimonP wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:56 am Bedford's win yesterday means we are unlikely to see a Brett v Callum touchline dust up next season. Possibly no bad thing.
Callum is now at Stotfold as player/assistant coach with his (and Brett's) cousin Paul as manager!
SimonP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by SimonP »

mattf wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:57 pm
SimonP wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:56 am Bedford's win yesterday means we are unlikely to see a Brett v Callum touchline dust up next season. Possibly no bad thing.
Callum is now at Stotfold as player/assistant coach with his (and Brett's) cousin Paul as manager!
I thought he was still part of the team at Bedford, in which case sparks may still fly. I know it has been already extensively commented on, but have to say that looking at the spreadsheet you shared (after I had gone down a rabbit hole of googling obscure step 6 teams I had never heard of like London Samurai Rovers or Bristol Telephones FC) I would hope to be able to get to half of the away fixtures
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic