Biggleswade Town v Hitchin Town updates

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

JohnTG
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Biggleswade Town v Hitchin Town updates

Post by JohnTG » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Several hundred Hitchin supporters travelled to Bggleswade on a cold afternoon and were warmed up by the boys on the pitch playing in an all yellow strip. Although play had been fairly even up to the opening goal I thought that we were playing the football as opposed to the long ball used by the Waders feeding Inih Ffiong rumoured to be playing in his final game for the Waders.
In the 30th minute Kane Smith received the ball unmarked just outside the penalty box and unleashed a shot that Ian Brown could only watch as the ball flashed past and high up into the net. 1-0 was soon to become two when Kane beat a defender to cross low and hard and Matt was on hand to get the final touch. 2-0 and coasting but the game was turned upside down when Mr Appleby awarded the hosts a penalty after the ball struck Webby's arm. Michael J was unlucky not to stop Inih's penalty but the ball ended up in the net. 2-1 and HT.
After the break Hitchin controlled the game but a 3rd goal was required to make it safe and again Matt was the boy to see us home and after being set up to nod head pass Brownie. With a little luck Matt might have had a hat-trick today, when after beating several defenders he smacked the bar with his shot, my MOM today, but everyone deserves praise for a tiptop performance.
A great start to the New Year and more on Saturday please.

JohnTG
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by JohnTG » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:54 pm

MarkC wrote:Nunn also tweeted that today was likely to be Inih Effiong's last game for Biggleswade with him being "full time football bound". Does anyone know where he is going to?
The latest rumour is Barnet, but repeat, just a rumour. :) :)

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Was funny - Browny turned round at one point and said to me: "I bought my house on the back of the brown envelopes from you lot"....

Well I had to say it: "Don't tell me, you're now after an extension...." :-P

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Greenfinch » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:05 pm

If you could relate this match to Strictly Come Dancing, Hitchin Town would receive a 'Len 10' and Biggleswade Town Seve...rn. This match however was strictly football, played in the right spirit, a joy to watch, and a credit to both sides.None of the usual tactics of some Southern League teams, where the ref is surrounded by players, just because a decision goes against them. Incidentally, I thought the ref had a good game too, letting the game flow.The team just oozes confidence, times gone by, I would be hoping to hang on, but not now, the team work, commitment and passing is a credit to Mark, and in all my years of watching Hitchin, this period has been the best, as it has produced stability with a young talented side.

HITCHIN DART
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by HITCHIN DART » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:20 pm

Rather like the opening day when I cursed that 'wont see a better game that this season may as well not watch another game' I left Biggleswade thinking 'be lucky to see a better long distance strike in 2017 than Kane's opener yesterday' an absolute belter!

Leamington and Slough starting to drop points make for a very interesting 2017 I feel!

Just a quick scouting note that Tom Gardiner who was at my other club Dartford on a 6 month deal has left by mutual consent today (due to travel and work commitments) and would be well worth signing (Money depending although Dartford average payers in Conference South) judging by his performances to date. Local lad (Harpenden) as well. Very well thought of at Dartford and easily play higher than Conference South at Centre half or right back (Mind you HTFC well stocked there although reckon you can never have too many quality players in one squad especially when a title is up for grabs!)

Brian Parker
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian Parker » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:31 pm

Another great result. Biggleswade had gone unbeaten for 14 home games in a row prior to this. I was worried about Lewis Rolfe's suspension leaving us more vulnerable at the back, but Will Wright stepped up with just one goal and that a dubious penalty conceded over the three games. Will Lewis get back on Saturday and if so in what position? The team are playing well but I still think that a reliable striker could win us the league.

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:13 am

I would expect Mark to start with the same team he started with at Biggleswade as we won and it would IMO be unfair to change it unless any players are injured.
He didn't bring Callum or Brett straight back after their suspensions!

MarkC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MarkC » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Not to detract from tonight's excellent result against St Albans, but out of curiosity I've been checking the news every couple of days about Inih Effiong. This afternoon he played as a trialist for Grimsby Town reserves. There were also three defenders from Redditch playing as trialists including one Jhai Dhillon.

MarkC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MarkC » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Update from Grimsby: Effiong scored twice and all the trialists will get a further opportunity

http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/town- ... story.html

Apologies if this should be in another thread.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic