Hitchin v Dorchester - updates

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hitchin v Dorchester - updates

Post by Cat Daisy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:54 pm

anthony.brown wrote:I knew it would be a bad day when my 17 year old pet cat, Rooney, had to be put to sleep at 10am.
Sorry to hear about Rooney. One of our 17 year old cats passed away just before Xmas. Still sad about it but lots of nice memories.

Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:53 pm

What a load of nonsense. An article never let a goal in. The longer an unbeaten run goes on, the sooner it will end. It ended. It is not the end of the world though! I stand by my view, but it is down to the players, not the people watching it and writing about it.!!! :-)

An article or statement does not jinx a football match! Two games in three days might, though! Only once this season have the team won on a Saturday and Monday in the league, I think - Basingstoke/Camb City.

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:47 pm

Steady Neil, next you'll be suggesting that the people who go to football in their lucky socks, having their lucky pie in their lucky pub on the way to the ground are having no effect on the result!

Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:56 pm

Or wearing their lucky underpants...In 1972, I had eaten tomato sandwiches before each Chelsea Football League Cup game, convinced they were lucky tomatoes. It got me all the way to the final and then they lost to Stoke City 2-1. It put me off tomato sandwiches for years. 50,000 people yelling their knackers off makes a difference. 5,000 ultras behind a goal can create an atmosphere. 20,000 Dortmund fans in the yellow wall makes a difference. 500 middle-aged men and women cannot influence a game, as much as we like to think so! Today's football crowds are so tame and lifeless in Britain that I honestly don't believe they make much difference - just consider the lack of atmosphere at Chelsea, Arsenal, West Ham. Back to those underpants...

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:35 pm

Well I have always felt that 2 games in 3 days is too much, not enough recovery time for the players although people say it's the same for both teams!
Have never liked playing on Monday evenings and never will!
They say we get bigger crowds on a Monday than a Tuesday but whilst that may have been the case when it started we will not know unless we try Tuesday's again!

Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:47 pm

I cannot believe the desperate people who gambled on the game and gave the club stick for losing. Was there something going on last night - some sort of scam? They really are the losers!!

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Our record for all games played on Mondays (includes a couple of Bank Holiday afternoon kick offs which we would have had whichever day of the week we played midweek matches) is Won 10, Drew 1 Lost 3. Couldn't have asked for much better than that, although still sore that on of the losses was the Faversham replay.

Given we have a young squad I reckon it should be a great advantage to us to play on Mondays as recovery time should be quicker than for teams with more "old" players. If you are winning a lot of the Monday league matches it may also be a bit of a psychological advantage over league rivals by getting the points on the board and putting pressure on them to match us - obviously this wasn't the case this week!

lisa.hall

Post by lisa.hall » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:29 pm

Saw my first Hitchin game on Monday and I was disappointed that the Dorchester team seemed to like kicking the Hitchin team on too many occasions. Seemed appropriate for one of the Hitchin players to pretend to be a jockey as he jumped on the back of one of the Dorchester players and the timing couldn't have been more perfect as I'd just told my friend that I was going to call the Dorchester team the Dorchester Donkeys. Hoping to see Hitchin win when I come back to watch a second game. Thanks to all for making me feel so welcome especially Jacqueline McDonald!!

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:52 pm

lisa.hall wrote:Hoping to see Hitchin win when I come back to watch a second game. Thanks to all for making me feel so welcome especially Jacqueline McDonald!!
Welcome, Lisa!

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:04 pm

It seems a recurring theme to me Lisa.. recently the away teams have been quite cynical and the referees seem reluctant to do anything about it

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic