Hitchin Town Club Crest Redesign?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

ltfcstew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Hitchin Town Club Crest Redesign?

Post by ltfcstew » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:58 am

Just a quick question - has anyone ever tried to redesign the club crest and how would supporters feel about this move?

I'm a footballing traditionalist, but also work in marketing, so whilst I understand the history which comes with the club crest (continuing the town coat of arms), I just wondered whether this has ever been raised. I also thought it could be a fun pet project. The description of the Hitchin coat of arms is here: http://www.ngw.nl/heraldrywiki/index.php?title=Hitchin

It's also fairly unusual for a teams club crest to involve a strong colour which the club don't wear (red) or not feature an image of their nickname (canary).

Obviously there have been some very good and very bad (West Ham) examples of this being done with clubs and I'm not wishing to upset any apple carts here... just intrigued to peoples thoughts? :)

Also wondered if the club has ever worn a different crest?

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hitchin Town Club Crest Redesign?

Post by Chris_N » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Oh Stew please don't make me get out my Soapbox. Not just the Marketing, but I could write a thesis on the subject of Brand Image and how we as a club need to embrace the fact that it's 2017 in this aspect of Club activity.

Thing about presenting a consistent Brand Image is that it needs control and buy in from all those affected by it. Until you get that it's a tough cookie to crumble. Sadly it has only been embraced in full or in part by those who understand it and appreciate the need for it. But with the lack of a control mechanism to enable it, everyone goes off and just does what they want - whatever type face you like, handwritten signs...... I find this very frustrating - sad thing is that most would say: "What is he going on about?".

So far as moving away from the traditional crest goes, our former Media Officer Neil Jensen tried hard to suggest the potential of modernising our Club Crest for something more modern when he was with the Club. My home Club Fulham did this in 2001 when they changed from a traditional crest to a modern, up-to-date badge that was very simple, and like it or not it stated the brand very emphatically. See that badge and like it or not, you know that it states Fulham FC.

Hitchin Town is heavy with traditionalists who would naturally baulk against the change to the crest. But with our growing number of youngsters attending games, I'd be interested to know if they think we should modernise.

The other thing is - the crest unfortunately has loads of plumes shooting out of the top of it. It is too easy to bastardise it and remove the plumes, and only use the shield part of the crest. Ergo further inconsistency.

I'm in the minority of not many who would happily consider coming up to date and having a new Club Crest - I would also love to see a consistent and professional brand image to state Hitchin Town FC to the outside world. Maybe it will come with a new ground or the modernisation of Top Field - we can hope!

In answer to your other question Stew, there was a previous club crest badge worn throughout the 60s-70s-80s (not sure exactly the dates it was in effect) :

ltfcstew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ltfcstew » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Hi Chris,

Firstly - many thanks for the above! It was a very interesting reading and mentioned quite a few factors I have to admit to having not even considered. One thing I do however agree on is consistency! I'm in my early 30s and maybe it's just a design-eye that I have, but I really do feel that a change in identity with a different logo could vastly change the fortunes of the club, especially when it comes to the younger audiences. For example, what a different badge on the club shirt make a different to a young boy/girl wanting to wear a HTFC shirt - I genuinely think it would.

I have to say, of the club crests of the teams in our league, I really like the Leamington one. It has a very strong identity, carries their corporate colours well and offers a fresh look, with a hint of a vintage look. Thoughts?

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Agree with both of you.

I believe the club brand could do with being freshened up a little. The current badge although traditional would not appeal to anyone below the age of 50 with regards to wearing it on a shirt. Fortunantly we have had good shirt designs for a number of years now.

Simple thing's like giving the fixture board a facelift and other simple thing's make the club look more appealing to passer's by.

The ground situation certainly does not help but the club need's to be bought into the 21st century.

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:43 pm

I like the club badge but then I'm over 50 - where's the OAP smiley when you need it. :yes: :yes:

I believe the words 'Football for the Future' have been added to the club badge in recent years.

Personally I don't think the look of the badge affects whether someone wants to wear the shirt or not. The fact they want to show their support for the club, design of the shirt and shirt colour would be higher on my priority than the badge. I wonder if Norwich sold many of their stripy tank top third strips last season.

The 150 years logo used in 2015 was excellent.

Ian Murrell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Murrell » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:08 pm

I have always wanted a canary with tatoos flexing its muscles while treading on a pigeon. Just to show our brand values of strength and victory. It could be in a tree to make sure we get the necessary amount of green in it.
I hope that helps.
I am over 60 if that means anything.
Fortunately, I am old enough to be able to ignore some very blatant ageist comments which should have no place on the club forum. (This is a joke before anyone loses their cool)

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:55 pm

Ian Murrell wrote:I am over 60 if that means anything. Fortunately, I am old enough to be able to ignore some very blatant ageist comments which should have no place on the club forum. (This is a joke before anyone loses their cool)
I am 60 myself so shamelessly guilty of the ageism. :acclaim:

Couple of points: Agree very much with the points you make Stew re Leamington. They have really got the brand image thing sorted. Mind you, they have competed at the higher level Conference/National League South for quite a few seasons. But I do think they have people with the right skills to see it through. Great, simple badge.

Agree with Darren - yes a facelift for the fixtures board would be a must for me. This is all about the image you project to the outside world. Professional or tacky?

Also the 150 logo Brian was great. Its image truly reflected what we wanted it to reflect and bridged the 150 year anniversary perfectly. Was great that loads of Hitchin fans bought the Polo Shirt.

Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:40 pm

How about a "logo" competition? We could get the school children involved. Adults too.
Just a thought :scratchchin:

Ray(P)
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ray(P) » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:00 pm

The fixture board in Bedford Road was due to be replaced a couple of season ago, really showing it age now.

ltfcstew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ltfcstew » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Apologies gents - never meant to offend with any ageist comments and it's certainly interesting to hear the thoughts of people of all ages!

Also good to see that I'm not alone in my thoughts that it could do with a revamp.

Logo comp sounds good to me... I'll not be able to help myself coming up with something now. Thanks all for your inputs. :-D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic