Hitchin Town Club Crest Redesign?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

pudgy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hitchin Town Club Crest Redesign?

Post by pudgy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:29 pm

If we are to have a new badge, it would perhaps be appropriate to introduce it when the new stand(s) and other Topfield infrastructure improvements are opened. I'm sure the Board or the Cow Commoners or even Colonel Bogey would be happy to advise us when that will occur.

australis flavum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by australis flavum » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:39 pm

Does anybody have a high-res version of the existing club crest as a starting point? Ideally an ai or eps, but I guess the chances of that are fairly slim. The web is full is poor-quality pixelated versions, so just seeing if anyone has the current format to save time redrawing this. :-)
Hi Stew

Thanks for starting a conversation regarding the HTFC badge/crest. I would love the club to have a go at developing a distinctive badge specifically for the football club, although would that then present a problem with the updating of all 'old' materials - merchandise, documentation, signage etc etc ? I was asked to knock up some ideas a couple of years ago, I put some rough badge options together but it didn't progress any further, which is a shame as it's something cheap and fairly painless that could push the club forward a bit.

I also help Mick with the matchday posters Stew, so I have redrawn the HTFC Crest (with plume and without, with gradients and flat) as a vector file, there are .ai and .eps files available if required. It always irritates me deeply to see that awful png http://www.hitchintownfc.club/articles/ ... Badge2.jpg of our badge being used by opposition programmes/websites, on wikipedia, football sites etc when we have a perfectly clean, sharp, well drawn version at our disposal.

Other than that Stew, congratulations on following the correct Canaries and the Tractorboys. :)

ltfcstew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ltfcstew » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Firstly re: Pudgy's comments above. You are indeed correct that if any changes were to be made to the stadia in the near-future, then it does make sense to wait until that takes place in order to save costs on reproduction of signage etc...

Hello australis flavum! Yes please, the AI and EPS files would be greatly appreciated thanks. I'd prefer the flat instead of gradient option if possible as IMO these graphics tend to be reproduced far easier. It'll just be a fun thing to play around with. Also, it would be great to see your rough badge options from a few years ago if you're willing to share. Could be a good starter for 10 for all of us. :-)

I hate to disappoint but it's an LTFC, not an ITFC - The Hatters, not the Tractorboys. Although we did enjoy a wonderful day out at Carrow Road whilst in the Conference a couple of years back.

Does anyone on the board at the club actually use this forum? If so, it would be great to hear their thoughts on the redesign?

australis flavum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by australis flavum » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:56 pm

No worries Stew. Got to nip out now but will send flat badge over later. And post roughs.

Shame it's not Ipswich but Luton are perfectly acceptable.

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:12 pm

ltfcstew wrote:
Neil wrote:Blimey, it was seven years...

Branding
http://hitchintownfc.club/articles/week ... 9088.shtml
Did you implement these brand changes Neil? If so I can only sympathise. During my time at the aforementioned County FC (Northamptonshire), I implemented some brand guidelines here and it was one of the most painful experiences of my life. It did however culminate in their current slogan too, Your Game Is Our Goal. Haha. They do however still refer to it as Northants FA, despite the guidelines stating otherwise. No consistency damnit! :thud: :)

Other than reintroducing the red in the crest instead of green/yellow... were there any other edits to the clubs crest at the time?

Fairly topical after yesterday's fixture, but the Slough Town crest of surely an example of a fairly unimaginatively redesigned crest. They've clearly just stuck with the same Coat of Arms style, but lobbed it into a circle with Slough Town wrapped around it! Sigh...

One other question, I've noticed over the years that the club currently make reference to the original Hitchin FC being the precursor to the current club, but how would fans feel about making reference to both "formed" dates on the crest? Or are the two clubs seem as very separate entities? (example: Newport County badge)
Neil will no doubt speak for himself,but I will put my thoughts on it. Read them or move on to the next post - your choice.

Neil tried really hard to introduce the concept of brand and a slogan of "Football For The Future". As Club Administrator I ensured that I employed the use of it straight away and used it for Letter heads, compliment slips and any other style of stationery which has needed to be used for external communications which represent the Club. I am still using it now. What Neil did succeed in doing was to lay down an outline for best practice guidelines for the Club to follow.

So far as the crest goes, throughout the 1990s - where the crest was used was on the programme where the background was green. The change to red, which I understand was the original colour, occurred in 2000 which was the first time we had embroidered crests on shirts, other kit and other clothing sold in the Club Shop. I was running the Club Shop betweem 2001 and 2010 and during this time I ensured that all clothing items for sale had the club embriodered crest on it. During this time, as a variation on a range of Polo Shirts, I reverted to the green crest to try to help boost sales by offering something different. I also tried a small range of Polo Shirts with an embroidered Canary - these sold a few but if I'm honest, didn't overly take off.

Without wishing in any way to be critical, what Neil introduced was only adopted by those who really had any understanding of it and its implications. Many of us have been in employment where Brand Image had a part to play. Many haven't. When I first saw it, my immediate thoughts are that we should be striving for consisitency in any external communication where there was a need to represent the Brand that is Hitchin Town FC:

- Stationery
- Website and Social Media
- Match Day Programme and Posters
- Signage around the ground
- Tickets of any sort

To successfully implement something of this nature, it also needs to ensure that everyone using the Brand of Hitchin Town FC in any way also follows the Brand guidelines laid down by the club, so for example:

- Advertising - anyone running an event on behalf of the Club
- Signage for any other activity representing Hitchin Town Football Club, so for example, the Canary Club
- The Supporters Club in sourcing any merchandise which bears the name Hitchin Town FC

Then finally, it needs acceptance, buy in from all and someone charged with the responsibility and authority of ensuring consistency before things projecting Hitchin Town FC go out to the public.

That's how successful Brand Imaging works. We can but hope that one day the Club will aspire to something near this. It is the thing I feel most strongly about.

I repeat, I say this without any criticism of all of our great volunteers who perform for the Club they love, some day in day out, and who are doing the very best they can with the skills they have. If we just could adopt a culture of pooling our differing skills for the greater good then we'd have a chance of moving a lot nearer to the aspiration of a solid Brand Image for Hitchin Town FC so what they project to their stakeholders and public is as good as it can be.

P.S. Stew - have sent you a private message - Cheers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic