Hitchin Town Club Crest Redesign?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

Thingwall
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hitchin Town Club Crest Redesign?

Post by Thingwall » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm interested in the comments above re Fulham. Their 'new' crest is certainly obviously Fulham but seems like the most unimaginative thing possible. Was there some problem with using the old Hammersmith and Fulham badge re marketing? You have to be very careful with badges - my 'other' club Everton had an appalling remake a few years ago even though it appeared they were just trying to modernise it. Same with the song the team run out to - both Merseyside clubs run out to songs popular around the start of the 60s. If you update it now you'll need to update it every year.
As for using a nickname as the badge. There's no sign of a toffee anywhere near the Everton badge and there never has been. There are a lot of bird nicknames though and the Swansea badge at the moment I think is particularly good.
Doubt any young fan is fussed. On the other hand if we got a canary mascot to interact with the kids?

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:16 pm

I know this is digressing from the original topic, but as it’s been touched on, may as well add a little more!

Not sure why players have to run out to a modern song – Everton and Watford come out to the theme from Z Cars (1962), Palace fans sing “Glad All Over” (1964). Who would ever suggest Liverpool fans should get up to date and do away with singing You’ll Never Walk Alone (from the 1945 musical Carousel) prior to matches? Come on Scousers, scrap that old one and get singing some Ed Sheeran songs instead!

I guess the reason that Colonel Bogey has no relevance to some fans is that at some point in the past it stopped being played prior to games, so those of us who remember it from yesteryear have an attachment to it and had it been played when, for example, Chris and Darren first started coming to games then it would have some meaning for them. Perfectly understandably (I assume) they don’t remember it from days gone by, so it means nothing to them.

I’m sure Colonel Bogey won’t be back, other than maybe the occasional play on Forces Day perhaps, but some of us will remember it fondly as part of our Top Field experience, along with the smell of liniment when you walked past the dressing room!

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Something from the Fall's 'Hex Enduction Hour' which was recorded in this fair town.. a bit abrasive maybe

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:16 pm

Perhaps Martha & The Vandellas 'Johnny Mac When Are You Coming Back?'.. thought he was superb today, shame we'd given ourselves such a mountain to climb

Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:08 pm

Look hard around you'll fine the branding guide on the site. I'm sure it's still there.

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Sorry to keep on re RST's point about intro music but this is what a lack of social life can do - after some of the refereeing we've been subjected to recently I think maybe some improvised free jazz might be more up the officials street?

Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:51 am

Blimey, it was seven years...

Branding
http://hitchintownfc.club/articles/week ... 9088.shtml

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:19 am

Well done Neil.

I knew there had been some changes and the 'Football for the future' added.

JohnTG
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by JohnTG » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:36 am

I regularly wear my fleece of yesteryear displaying my support for Hitchin Town, so I guess I'd have to purchase a new one if we change the badge. :shock: :shock:

Seriously, anything that helps to bring our club into the 21st century has to be welcome, and a new or revised badge certainly meets with my approval, and I'm 78 on Easter Monday. :-D :-D :) :) (And I'll buy a new fleece :happy2: )

ltfcstew
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by ltfcstew » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:01 pm

Neil wrote:Blimey, it was seven years...

Branding
http://hitchintownfc.club/articles/week ... 9088.shtml
Did you implement these brand changes Neil? If so I can only sympathise. During my time at the aforementioned County FC (Northamptonshire), I implemented some brand guidelines here and it was one of the most painful experiences of my life. It did however culminate in their current slogan too, Your Game Is Our Goal. Haha. They do however still refer to it as Northants FA, despite the guidelines stating otherwise. No consistency damnit! :thud: :)

Other than reintroducing the red in the crest instead of green/yellow... were there any other edits to the clubs crest at the time?

Fairly topical after yesterday's fixture, but the Slough Town crest of surely an example of a fairly unimaginatively redesigned crest. They've clearly just stuck with the same Coat of Arms style, but lobbed it into a circle with Slough Town wrapped around it! Sigh...

One other question, I've noticed over the years that the club currently make reference to the original Hitchin FC being the precursor to the current club, but how would fans feel about making reference to both "formed" dates on the crest? Or are the two clubs seem as very separate entities? (example: Newport County badge)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic