Where were Lewis and Lenchie?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

MarkC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Where were Lewis and Lenchie?

Post by MarkC » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:57 pm

35 posts on redesign of the club crest and branding. 1 post (from me) asking about the unexplained absence of Lewis and Lencie against Slough. Perhaps that says something about modern football even at our level? Don't get me wrong - I think branding is important. But "Football for the Future" would also be well served by winning promotion. As Burkey said after the match - that's the championship gone.

So it would seem that there are three possible explanations:

1. Injuries - that either occurred after the Weekly Bulletin or were kept out of the Bulletin in order to prevent giving Slough a pre-match boost.
2. The players made themselves unavailable - if this was the case it is, at the very least, disappointing. What is the leave policy for players?
3. The players are involved in talks with other clubs.

The value of transparency about player availability was discussed recently on the forum. In it's absence one can but speculate.

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Where were Lewis and Lenchie?

Post by Chris_N » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Modern football.....yes says something. 20-30-40 years ago it would have been word of mouth and chinese whispers.

Players at our level do have a living and a life outside of football. Occasionally they do have family or domestic commitments that take priority. The only games Lewis Rolfe has missed this season were through suspension. And Matty I know had a long-standing commitment - it happens! He's advised Burkey quite some time ago and so Burkey would have been aware of the need to plan without him. Matty too has only missed a couple of games since he went to Australia (time to forgive him for that)
and those were due to work commitments. Leave policy for players??? At Step 3? Really???

As for them being involved in talks with other clubs - don't think so. Those lads have given three seasons' sterling service to our club since signing from Chesham - the two of them are integral members of the squad.

Ask yourself - why would they WANT to absent themselves at this critical point in the season? People will speculate anyway. Thing is, apart from what I've said here I don't know any more either. Yes 35 postings about something on redesign and branding - great. People getting involved, just what we want.

Transparency is vitally important. The flow of information out of the Club has improved beyond recognition as I said in a thread last week. But too great a level of detail and transparency can be damaging, either to an individual or the Club. It's a fine balance. I expect them both to be on the coach to Redditch - if not, then we can ask questions.

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:55 pm

If Matt Lench had a long standing commitment, that should probably have been in the Bulletin. I also see that Matt Spring wasn't in the Hemel side either on Saturday so he managed to avoid two defeats!

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Cat Daisy wrote:If Matt Lench had a long standing commitment, that should probably have been in the Bulletin.
The problem of being transparent and keeping supporters updated in the Bulletin, it also tells the opposition about our team news.
Not in anyway knocking the Bulletin, it's an important and much welcome source of info for us supporters but I think we have to accept Mark and the club, have to sometimes be selective as to what they want to make public just 24 hours before a big game.
Slough clearly had a game plan for Jonny Mac. Within a minute of him coming on they brought on the little number 15 (I think) who dropped into left back and marked Jonny.

Please note I know absolutely nothing as to why Lewis or Matt were not playing Saturday, just get on with supporting the eleven on the pitch rather than worrying too much about those not playing.

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:02 pm

Cat Daisy wrote:If Matt Lench had a long standing commitment, that should probably have been in the Bulletin.
Slough scouted us against Cirencester (where Matt was MoM if I remember correctly) and would have had a game plan for him. This is a clear case of where transparency would not have worked to our advantage.

MarkC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MarkC » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:21 pm

I accept that "leave policy" is a clumsy choice of words. I guess what I'm trying to get at is what is the club's expectation of the players when they sign a contract. Is it, for example, that they can miss up to two Saturday games during a season. Yes, they are semi-professionals. But, they are semi-professionals, not amatures.

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:37 pm

No hard and fast rule for having time off, but you are correct Mark that in signing a contract it indicates a commitment to be present when the Club needs your services.

As I say, even with that in mind, there are occasionally priorities.......

pudgy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by pudgy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:05 pm

Maybe they eloped....

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:18 pm

pudgy wrote:Maybe they eloped....
It's a theory........??? :shock: :-o :rotfl1:

Sky Blue Canary
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sky Blue Canary » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:24 am

I stress I've no knowledge of the answer to the question, above but, it's fair enough, it's the nature of part time football, players are paid appropriately for giving up part of their time. Businesses that pay more and demand full time commitment are sometimes victims of staff incorrectly calling in sick or wishing to take time off for family reasons, etc.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic