Hitchin v Leamington updates

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

pudgy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hitchin v Leamington updates

Post by pudgy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:30 pm

As JM can vouch, most non-league fans are pleasant, docile characters but most seasons the visitors will occasionally bring a more disruptive element. Some years ago I recollect standing behind the dugouts and being deafened by a twenty - strong crowd of quite respectable looking folk, including a couple of women, who spent most of the first half chanting some pretty foul language. They were well within earshot of the bench, but no action was taken by the club stewards, and they continued chanting for the rest of the game. I moved down the stand.

It is difficult for small outfits like ours to police this sort of behaviour. We don’t have an army of doormen, and physical attempts to remove fans from the ground might well provoke a minor riot. Whenever this sort of behaviour occurs, the Club usually comes out with some text-book waffle that racist, sexist, bad language will not be tolerated, (as parroted in JM’s post), but in reality, it does nothing to prevent it.

There are simple and relatively inexpensive measures that could be adopted: prominent notices around the ground warning that bad language, racist/sexist comments are unacceptable; a similar notice shown prominently in the match-day programme; a small number of CCTV cameras (these are much cheaper than they used to be) around the ground.

Most of these suggestions have been made before, and, as far as I’m aware, have been ignored by the Club. Perhaps when we get the new stands to go with the new floodlights, some of these ideas might be adopted. I won’t be holding my breath though. In the meantime, I’ll adopt the Club’s approach and pretend I didn’t hear it.

Well done Mark C and JM for raising it with Kick it Out, and yes Samza, if only we had a clinical striker.......

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:06 am

So disappointing to see the visitors come here to stop our team playing by fair means and foul. Had both teams been allowed to play to their full abilities, the outcome would possibly have been the same, a point apiece, but both sets of fans would have gone home happier (having seen a proper game of football). If every game was this dour fans would abandon the beautiful game in droves. :grumpy1:

australis flavum
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by australis flavum » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:42 am

Totally agree Anthony. It was the last game I'll get to see before I go back abroad, so it was disappointing to see it turned into a non event. Leamington will be happy though, they came for a point and got it.

Andy Denniss
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Andy Denniss » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:21 pm

I shall be in the minority here but I thought the ref had a good game. It is always difficult to please both sets of supporters and as none seemed to think he had a good game shows how hard it is. Yes Johnny took a couple of thumps and as I recall I believe both times the Ref booked the players. He also booked Brett and their No 6 for something off the ball. The game finished with 11 players a side which I believe shows he was in control. How many times have we had fans on here saying the Ref was card happy and spoilt the game.

The game itself was disappointing, they closed us down quickly and stopped us playing our normal game. And from there side , they didn't really create a lot of chances, so we ended up with a poor game but as someone has said, a game we would probably have lost in seasons past.

MarkC
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MarkC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:58 pm

From the match report on the Leamington website:

"The constant squawking at the officials by the home players to try and force decisions was a throwback to the Midland Alliance days, when it seemed to be an almost weekly occurrence."

http://www.leamingtonfc.co.uk/index.php ... Itemid=355

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:00 pm

"Both keepers were largely redundant all afternoon" - a bit harsh on the Leamington keeper.. he seemed very active to me?

HITCHIN DART
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by HITCHIN DART » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:56 pm

A very hard game to watch sometimes 0-0s can be quite interesting as a number of contests play themselves out and defences get on top despite being put under pressure....Saturday was just abject from both teams in an attacking sense.

I thought the ref did well......of course you are talking about the man in the light blue shirt with gloves on who should have been told to get back into his goal?? You make the keeper the captain then that's your problem if you want him to speak to the referee on the teams behalf you cant have an idiot running 50/60 yards to get involved every time theres an 'incident'

Thought we missed Callums promptings but mind you worried if he would have stayed on in that kind of game! Roll on the play offs!

Good turn out from the LEamington's!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic