History Today

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

History Today

Post by anthony.brown »

14th November 1903
Breachwood Green Rovers 1 Walkern 1

Walkern and Breachwood Green played a cup-tie match on Saturday afternoon. Local interest was strong.
Breachwood team: H. Farnham; B.Mardle and S.Mardle; Widdocks, Snoxall, and R.Mardle; Dickson, Higginbottom, G. Tompkins, Scrivener, and H. Nash.

The homesters won the toss, but nothing resulted in the first half, although the Rovers pressed and played with the wind.
Excitement increased rapidly after the change of ends as H. Nash scored for the homesters, the goal-keeper, (Farnham), saving a penalty kick in the same half awarded to Walkern. Walkern, however, persisted in pressing, and eventually obtained an equalising goal. There matters remained, and although an extension of time was taken advantage of, nothing material resulted, the finish being inconclusive (1-1).
Previous to meeting the Rovers, Walkern had a goal average of 40-1.

Herts Advertiser Saturday 21st November 1903

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: History Today

Post by anthony.brown »

15 November 1969
Hitchin Town 3 Corinthian Casuals 1

A hat-trick for Ken Fulkes as the Canaries beat the Casuals at Top Field fifty years ago.

Thanks to Fishponder Stats.....

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

16 November 1994
Harrow Borough 2 Hitchin 4

A hat-trick for Shaun Marshall, and one from Gary Williams as the Canaries win away 25 years ago.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

17 November 1934
St Albans City 0 Hitchin Town 2

Goals from Les Clarke and Eddie Armitage as the Canaries beat City in the FA Amateur Cup 4th Qualifying Round.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

On the 18th November I could have mentioned it was 80 years to the day that we beat Metropolitan Police 7-2 at Top Field. On the 19th, 70 years since a (rare?) 2-1 win at Hendon.
But as no one is remotely interested in this thread, I'll end it here, and encourage fans to browse the super Fishponder Stats, which are like a gold mine to those of us who love to look back at our Club's amazing roller-coaster history......................................

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Just because i didn't comment, didn't mean I wasn't interested!

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

:thumbsup: :clap: Anthony, I love this thread, please don't end it!! I'm a bit lazy when it comes to searching "stuff" out so these nuggetss of past history I love reading about so keep them coming I say !
If music be the football of life, play on (extra time and pens if necessary)

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

It's good stuff, Anthony, and Fishponder's stats were always very helpful when I did the visitor pages in the programme.

I had started thinking that the teams in his stats that the Canaries no longer play might make a good series of articles for the programme. However got bogged down in exactly where the pitch at Leavesden was / is and have yet to follow it up!

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

OK then, you've twisted my arm, so I'll continue. But please feel free to join in (this is a forum!)

23 November 1929
Hitchin Town 1 Letchworth Town 1 Herts Charity Cup Round 1
A goal from Bertie Abbiss was enough to get this tie to a replay (which we lost 3-4 a week later).

Canadian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Canadian »

anthony.brown wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:04 pm
OK then, you've twisted my arm, so I'll continue. But please feel free to join in (this is a forum!)

23 November 1929
Hitchin Town 1 Letchworth Town 1 Herts Charity Cup Round 1
A goal from Bertie Abbiss was enough to get this tie to a replay (which we lost 3-4 a week later).
That day in 1929 was my father's 10th birthday. I wonder if he was at the match? He would have been 100 years old yesterday.
I enjoy these historical snippets, do keep going Villager! Hope you don't mind me using your former handle.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic