History Today

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: History Today

Post by anthony.brown »

9th May 1970 London Senior Cup Final (at Enfield)

St Albans City 2 (Les Burgess 2) Hitchin Town 4 (Bernie Gogan 2, Charlie Townsend, Roy Cutler)

50 years since The Canaries won this important trophy. Last summer, I had the pleasure of chatting to Tony Harley, one of our winning team, who had fond memories of his HTFC career, though many of his relatives are now, I believe, Redditch supporters. Perhaps I should have shared this match on Talk Hitchin Town!

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

10th May 1939 Herts Senior Cup Final (Replay) At Letchworth.

Leavesden Mental Hospital 0 Hitchin Town 3 (Sam Hailey, Sid Gentle, Jack Hoar)

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

anthony.brown wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:53 am
10th May 1939 Herts Senior Cup Final (Replay) At Letchworth.

Leavesden Mental Hospital 0 Hitchin Town 3 (Sam Hailey, Sid Gentle, Jack Hoar)
Enjoying the updates, Anthony.

Out of curiosity, did anyone ever watch Hitchin play at Leavesden (or KIngs Langley play there before they moved to their new ground)?

I visited the site last year and there is still a pitch at the north of the site, well away from the remaining historic buildings. However the local historian reckoned Leavesden's pitch was nearer the actual hospital and has now been replaced by a new visitor centre. Any ideas? Thanks!

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

11th May 1935 Dunkles Cup (Final)

Hitchin Town 4 (Eddie Armitage 4) Jurgens 3 (K. Worrall, W. Ballard, J. Barrs)

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Thank you all for following this thread. I'll be back once our website corrects the 20 year discrepancy regarding the visits of the Wanderers, which happened in 1866/68, not 1888/9! See Key Moments in the Club history section. :-(

Note: Issues now resolved. Website sorted. My records updated. Mood considerably brightened.
Last edited by anthony.brown on Sat May 16, 2020 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Very interesting thread Anthony :clap:

Geoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Geoff »

Cat Daisy wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 7:26 pm
anthony.brown wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:53 am
I visited the site last year and there is still a pitch at the north of the site, well away from the remaining historic buildings. However the local historian reckoned Leavesden's pitch was nearer the actual hospital and has now been replaced by a new visitor centre. Any ideas? Thanks!
I played there for Welwyn (NOT W.G.C.) in the Herts County League, must have been mid to late '60s I think.
The pitch was alongside one of the hospital buildings and the 'inmates' were watching from the sideline and kept a couple of yards back from the pitch by that well known rope fence.
The ball on one occasion rolled past the rope for a throw in, to us, and our winger was shouted at to "get the ball quick!".
He stood by the sideline and said "I'm not going over there".
One of the Leavesden players eventually got the ball back.
"Confusion will be my epitaph"

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Thanks for following the thread, RST. Website issues resolved. Phew.
Last edited by anthony.brown on Sat May 16, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

Geoff wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:46 pm

I played there for Welwyn (NOT W.G.C.) in the Herts County League, must have been mid to late '60s I think.
The pitch was alongside one of the hospital buildings and the 'inmates' were watching from the sideline and kept a couple of yards back from the pitch by that well known rope fence.
Cheers, Geoff. I think that proves the Leavesden historian is correct about the pitch location and I am wrong! I guess that was about the time when they had lots of "ringers" from Watford FC playing for Leavesden.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

The first football result from a Hitchin team I've found? 3rd March 1855 Hitchin Rangers 2 Woodlands School 4.

Luton Town Football Club: We understand that over a dozen matches are arranged for the ensuing season 1855/56, including St Albans, Grove House, Hotspur, Hitchin, St Neots, Wellingborough Grammar School, and Old Westminster.
Luton Times and Advertiser Tuesday 19th June 1855.
What Hitchin team played Luton in 1855/6? If the fixture actually happened,of course.

Two magistrates died in quick succession in 1878. Hubert Delme Radcliffe (see above), and T. R. Wilson who was the father-in-law of John Pardoe, Hitchin Club's first secretary.

Cecil Reid, who captained Hitchin Club's first ever FA Cup match against Crystal Palace, left a gross estate of £50,325. 5s. 10d (personal estate £28,567.10s.8d) when he died at the early age of 56 in 1898. A partner in Reid's Brewery, his father had been a partner in the Watney, Combe, Reid Brewery Group.

Hitchin Town forward and top scorer in the Canaries' first season 1928/9, Harry Womwell disappeared from view early the next season. What happened to him?

In January 1933 the local press reported that a new football club 'may be formed' at Hitchin under the name of the 'All Blacks', and that several former Canaries players were interested in the project. They hoped to play in the South Midlands League from season 1933/4, but I can't find any mention of them after this press report. Did the 'All Blacks' ever play a league game, or perhaps continued just playing friendlies?

In five seasons at Top Field, Arthur 'Wink' Saunders played just 13 games for the first team. A very patient reserve back and half-back.

In the mid-1930s Club 'match cards' sold for 1d, and up to 10,000 per season were issued. These cards (early programmes) are now so rare that they appear on auction sites selling for £100 plus.
Last edited by anthony.brown on Sat May 23, 2020 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic