History Today

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: History Today

Post by Steve »

Yes there were two and John was the younger brother, he sadly passed away from a brain tumour.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Approaching the end of this strange 2019/2020 season, I would like to thank Fishponder for the way the statistics are so easily searchable. Just going through the alphabetical list of players, you will find full international players (e.g. Ricky Hill, Paul Price), an FA Cup Final goal scorer (Dave Pacey), fans' favourites (Burke, Frendo, Akurang etc); then one can search one team list after another, putting each player into context, helping you remember the recent games and seeing earlier games of long gone heroes for the first time.
Few Clubs have such a fine, user-friendly archive.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Did anyone watch Antiques Roadshow tonight? The Hitchin connection: Major General Cuthbert Lucas, kidnapped by the IRA in the 1920s, was the son of early Hitchin F. C pioneer and all-round sportsman William Tindall Lucas.

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

Hi Anthony, yes I saw the show last night, picked up the Hitchin mention (also noticed the letters were post marked "Welwyn") but didn't realise that it was the son of W T Lucas.
If music be the football of life, play on (extra time and pens if necessary)

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Hi Stuart.
I will have to put a biography of WTL on the forum, as his contribution to sports in Hitchin was so great in the late 19th century. The Lucas family appear in all local history books. Reginald Hine's History of Hitchin details William's father Francis ('banker, wit and poet'), his grandfather Samuel ('brewer and watercolour artist') and great grandfather William ('diarist and country gentleman')
William Tindall Lucas was born on 7th November 1847 in Hatcham, Surrey (now in Lewisham Borough) while his father was working as a barrister. When the family returned to Hitchin they lived at Foxholes, Pirton Road. William was described as a banker & BA Oxon.
He had a wife and ten children, one of whom was Cuthbert, and died on 29th April 1937 while living at The Hall, Welwyn.
He played for Hitchin in that first FA Cup tie in 1871, and was prominent in a variety of sports. It was said he carried a rule book while playing at various games, as he was such a stickler for the rules.................................

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

anthony.brown wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:55 pm
William Tindall Lucas was born on 7th November 1847 in Hatcham, Surrey (now in Lewisham Borough) while his father was working as a barrister.
:clap:
That's fascinating stuff Anthony. not connected I know, but the address caught my eye as I retired at the end of 2018 after 45 years in the foundry industry, having worked a major part of that for Maybrey Reliance (30 years) they were originally the George England Hatcham Iron works in SE London which among other things built early steam engines, c1850 onward, at least one of which is still operating on the Festiniog railway. :-)

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

A few more details of William Tindall Lucas. Attended Harrow School, boarding in 'The Head Master's House'. Then to Pembroke College, Oxford, where he graduated BA.
Played one game for Wanderers FC v Cambridge University at Parker's Piece, Cambridge on Monday 13th November 1871, a 1-0 win for the Wanderers (the Morning Post reports the goal scorer as 'Scotsman', but the Wanderers' records show the scorer as H.L.Matthews).

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

I look forward to the History Today entry this time next year when Anthony can write:

3rd June 2020 - Hitchin Town on-line 50/50 draw won by, me!

Congratulations for winning Anthony - I reckon you deserve it for keeping the Forum going almost single handed at times since the season was curtailed!

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

After seeing my savings take such a hit at the start of the lockdown, it's fantastic to see a useful credit on my bank account. My niece has plans for my windfall, but I'll enjoy most of it!
I've just noticed that the title of this thread may be misleading people googling a well-known magazine and diverting them here. It certainly helps the thread's visitors' figures!

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

RST wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:16 pm
Congratulations for winning Anthony - I reckon you deserve it for keeping the Forum going almost single handed at times since the season was curtailed!

:iagree: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic