AN END TO THE INDEFENSIBLE AT LAST?

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

MickD
Gold Member
Gold Member

AN END TO THE INDEFENSIBLE AT LAST?

Post by MickD »

I was reading a recent Game of The People piece from Neil regarding the long overdue hardening attitude against players spitting. This is something that I have felt revulsion about for years and a habit that should have been put an end to years ago. For far too long it would appear to have been presented as a near art form by the best proponents and glorified almost by the media, rather than being roundly rejected as unhygienic and unnecessary.

Pity its taken this pandemic to provoke the change - suppose the FA (like everyone else trying to pass the buck) have to follow the science!!

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: AN END TO THE INDEFENSIBLE AT LAST?

Post by RST »

All we need now is a pandemic that stops players moaning at the referee. I guess social distancing will at least stop them getting any closer than 2 metres!

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Having played and later been a ref I can’t understand how sporting people, not just footballers can expect to not spit as it’s a process caused by high exertion so how can it be stopped and don’t say swallow it!

Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

When I played I would always have a tissue tucked inside my shorts as I have always been a runny-nosed kid! Spitting is a fairly modern thing on the pitch - they never used to do it (I am talking pre-WW2) and other sports people don't do it. As my article says, exertion does produce mucous, but it is the most unhygienic practice and is done far too often. It has to stop.

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

I think the FA did act on this before for those that recall Johnny Mac got a 6 game ban for spitting at an opponent so in terms of suspension it's considered the worst thing you can do on a pitch at present.

Largely agree with Steve. Have noticed this in other sports especially Cricket where I have noticed on occasions saliva being used to clean the ball before being bowled. Disgusting yes.

MickD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MickD »

So Darren, maybe that's the answer? Force all the players to save up their accumulated mucus in readiness for mass application to the ball prior to taking a free kick?

Depending upon overhead conditions that should make the ball swing!

Sorry, but I remain convinced that ninety nine percent of the time a player spits it is little more than following accepted practice.

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Neil wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:46 pm
When I played I would always have a tissue tucked inside my shorts as I have always been a runny-nosed kid! Spitting is a fairly modern thing on the pitch - they never used to do it (I am talking pre-WW2) and other sports people don't do it. As my article says, exertion does produce mucous, but it is the most unhygienic practice and is done far too often. It has to stop.
Didn’t realise you were around pre-WW2 Neil, your wearing well.😎

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

MickD wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:15 am
So Darren, maybe that's the answer? Force all the players to save up their accumulated mucus in readiness for mass application to the ball prior to taking a free kick?

Depending upon overhead conditions that should make the ball swing!

Sorry, but I remain convinced that ninety nine percent of the time a player spits it is little more than following accepted practice.
Yeah I can agree it's accepted practice to some extent. Stopping players doing it? I think Steve was correct in what he said.

I remember a similar conversation with Theo and he was of the believe some things are far to ingrained in the game to be changed. Verbals at the ref being the obvious one and guess spitting on the ground is the same.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic