FA Cup 1871/1872

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: FA Cup 1871/1872

Post by anthony.brown »

THE ASSOCIATION CHALLENGE CUP
A meeting of the committee of the Football Association convened for the purpose of taking preliminary steps for the institution of the above trophy, was held on Monday evening last, 16th October 1871, when the captains of all the association clubs were invited to attend. Mr E.C.Morley, the president of the association, was in the chair. The committee comprised Messrs C.W.Alcock (honorary secretary), A.Stair (honorary treasurer), D.Allport, J.Kirkpatrick, M.P.Betts, J.H.Giffard, and C.W.Stephenson, in addition to representatives from the Royal Engineers, Barnes, Wanderers, Harrow Chequers, Clapham Rovers, Hampstead Heathens, Civil Service, Crystal Palace, Upton Park, Windsor Home Park, and Lausanne clubs. After some discussion, in which an objection was entered against the establishment of the cup this season, owing to the difficulty of deciding the ties in consequence of most of the fixtures of the several clubs having already been made, the proposition 'That a Challenge Cup be given for annual competition, open to all clubs belonging to the Football Association' was unanimously carried, the proposer being Mr C.W.Alcock, the seconder Mr M.P.Betts. A committee to draw up the rules necessary for the guidance of the several contests was then formed, and it was ultimately, on the proposition of Mr D.Allport (Crystal Palace Club) resolved that a sub-committee, consisting of Messrs C.W.Alcock (Wanderers), R.H.Birkett (Clapham Rovers), J.Kirkpatrick (Civil Servant), J.Powell (Barnes Club), and A.Stair (Upton Park) be appointed to frame a code of rules to be submitted to the approval of a second general meeting to be held at Boy Court, Ludgate Hill, on Monday evening next, at half-past 5 o'clock.
Bell's Life in London Saturday 21st October 1871

The general committee for the ratification of the rules framed by the sub-committee for the guidance of the several contests in this competition was held at THE SPORTSMAN office yesterday (Monday) evening according to notice. Mr E.C.Morley, the president of the association, was in the chair, and the rules, which will be printed for immediate circulation among the Association clubs, were, with some trivial alterations, carried. After the settlement of the rules the ties of those clubs which have already signified their intention to compete were drawn with the following result:
WANDERERS v HARROW CHEQUERS
BARNES v CIVIL SERVICE
CRYSTAL PALACE v HITCHIN
DONINGTON GRAMMAR SCHOOL v QUEEN'S PARK, GLAGOW
ROYAL ENGINEERS v REIGATE PRIORY
UPTON PARK v CLAPHAM ROVERS
HAMPSTEAD HEATHENS (a bye)

We beg to call attention to the following rule, which, it will be seen, greatly facilitates the entry of provincial clubs:
'In the case of provincial clubs, it shall be in the power of the committee to except them from the early tie-drawings, and to allow them to compete specially against clubs in the same district, except in the case of the final ties'.
As the competition is open, without restriction, to all clubs belonging to the Football Association, secretaries of clubs desirous of entering for this present season must signify their intentions to Mr C.W.Alcock, Hon.Sec. of the Football Association, West Dulwich, Surrey, at once in order that such additions may be made to the ties.
The Sportsman Tuesday 24th October 1871

Since this drawing, the Great Marlow Club has signified an intention of competing, and others may be expected to enter.
Field Saturday 28th October 1871
NOTE: Maidenhead completed the famous fifteen a few days later.

ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

Stuart wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:41 pm Fascinating Anthony, maybe as part of the 150 year celebration of this, it could be arranged to have a rerun of the Hitchin v Crystal Palace & Great Marlow v Maidenhead with a final between the 2 winners ? strips and rules as were then would apply with say 30 minutes each way per game and straight to penalty shoot out if required so as to fit it all into one day of celebration?
Just a thought on my part.
All I can say re this at the moment is that preliminary discussions as to how the 150th Anniversary of the FA Cup is to be best celebrated are underway. It is hoped that there will be a united approach to it from the still in existence and interested clubs, rather than individual clubs doing their own thing. As soon as there is anything concrete to report on this, I will of course let all know......
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I have completed the pen pictures of those who played for Hitchin against Crystal Palace (page 1 of this thread), but I'm struggling with some of the scratch team that was thrashed by the Engineers. Perhaps others can check my researches and notify any errors, and perhaps do better than I can with the Engineers' match?
Chesfox77

Post by Chesfox77 »

CanaryHatter wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:08 pm With four matches kicking off that day, ours was at 3pm, as the Sportsman newspaper suggests. Regarding the others, Ian Chester has unearthed that the match at Clapham Rovers kicked off at 3:30pm, but is yet to find the KO time for the others. So that's one down, two to go.

He's also (so far) of the opinion that the match took place at Hitchin Hill. Do we know where this is yet?
Hi Anthony, Did you get my email showing that the Maidenhead v Marlow game kicked off sometime after 3.20 p.m. on the 11th November 1871 ? Cheers Ian Chester
Chesfox77

Post by Chesfox77 »

anthony.brown wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:15 pm I have completed the pen pictures of those who played for Hitchin against Crystal Palace (page 1 of this thread), but I'm struggling with some of the scratch team that was thrashed by the Engineers. Perhaps others can check my researches and notify any errors, and perhaps do better than I can with the Engineers' match?
I have some possible information on a couple of the players in the scratch team, which may be worth investigating further. Cheers Ian Chester
Chesfox77

Post by Chesfox77 »

anthony.brown wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:29 pm Thank you, Stewart. F.A.Tromans, who wrote about the Cricket Club, was a teacher of mine at Hitchin Boys G.S. It was said he was appointed because of his cricketing skills rather than his other undoubted attributes.
Your efforts, Stewart, have advanced our knowledge of the early years more quickly than anyone could have hoped. Soon we'll be able to give John Pardoe his due on our site as a founder of the club, rather than merely its first hon.sec. and give biographical details showing his starring role as a striker in the early days of the Forest/Wanderers.
John Pardoe did play in Hitchin Town's first ever match in February 1866, along with 3 more Lucas', - J.F. Lucas, C. Lucas and F. Lucas
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Chesfox77 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:09 pm
anthony.brown wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:29 pm Thank you, Stewart. F.A.Tromans, who wrote about the Cricket Club, was a teacher of mine at Hitchin Boys G.S. It was said he was appointed because of his cricketing skills rather than his other undoubted attributes.
Your efforts, Stewart, have advanced our knowledge of the early years more quickly than anyone could have hoped. Soon we'll be able to give John Pardoe his due on our site as a founder of the club, rather than merely its first hon.sec. and give biographical details showing his starring role as a striker in the early days of the Forest/Wanderers.
John Pardoe did play in Hitchin Town's first ever match in February 1866, along with 3 more Lucas', - J.F. Lucas, C. Lucas and F. Lucas
Thanks, but all that is included in my Hitchin F.C.: An Auspicious Beginning thread on this forum. I am regularly adding info to the thread as it is discovered. John Pardoe was a star player with Forest/Wanderers (Forest unbeaten in his time with them), and he came to Hitchin when appointed as a curate here....................................
Last edited by anthony.brown on Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Chesfox77 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:41 pm
CanaryHatter wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:08 pm With four matches kicking off that day, ours was at 3pm, as the Sportsman newspaper suggests. Regarding the others, Ian Chester has unearthed that the match at Clapham Rovers kicked off at 3:30pm, but is yet to find the KO time for the others. So that's one down, two to go.

He's also (so far) of the opinion that the match took place at Hitchin Hill. Do we know where this is yet?
Hi Anthony, Did you get my email showing that the Maidenhead v Marlow game kicked off sometime after 3.20 p.m. on the 11th November 1871 ? Cheers Ian Chester
I did not get it; but I've not been involved in searching for kick-off info.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I have corrected an error I made in Hitchin's team against the Royal Engineers, A.Dawson being restored to the Sportsman's match report in place of the absent W.Foster.
Has anyone contacted the local press yet about the plans to celebrate the 150th? Perhaps publicity could turn up more details of the scratch team that played at the Oval.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I notice that Cuthbert John Ottaway (1850-1878) played for Marlow in the first round, and for Crystal Palace in the 'third ties'. One of the most famous amateur sportsmen of his day, his usual football club was Oxford University, and he also played for the Old Etonians.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic