British Football's Greatest Grounds

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

British Football's Greatest Grounds

Post by Cat Daisy »

Now that football has been cancelled again, and with some sort of Christmas coming soon, you may want some reading material to add to your "wanted list":
https://www.pitchpublishing.co.uk/shop/ ... t-grounds

The author Mike Bayly is a long-time friend of Hitchin Town and was very supportive of the Save Top Field campaign. He also sourced some photos for an article in the programme against Arsenal for the inauguration of the new floodlights.

When Mike's book was originally being drafted, Top Field was one of the hundred. Chris Newbold and I offered some comments on the draft what seems like 4 or 5 years ago. Hopefully the ground made the final cut but the book should be a great read anyway!

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: British Football's Greatest Grounds

Post by anthony.brown »

I wonder if he solved the riddle of when the first Hitchin FC game was played there?
Privately owned until 1880, the land now known as Top Field was, I believe, used by Hitchin Cricket Club from 1835 until the 1840s; then in 1853 a revived Cricket Club shifted operations a short distance to the publicly used Butt's Close. The Cricket Club left Butt's Close in 1865, and played at Hitchin Hill until 1925.
Hitchin FC had played at the Dog Kennel Farm from their formation until they were offered a pitch at the Hitchin Hill Cricket Ground, where they remained until the early 1870s.
On 8th November 1873 'a very exciting game was played in the field opposite Mr W.Lucas's on the Bedford Road' (Hertford Mercury Saturday 15th November 1873). Could this be the first game at what later became known as Top Field?
The first mention I can find of 'Top Field' in a match report is about a match played on 8th December 1931, Hertfordshire 6 Bedfordshire 1, starring 'Tiny' Cannon!
Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

I am not sure how the finalised text ended up. The draft I saw was from 3-4 years ago. It certainly drew upon Neil's book as well as old newspaper articles. It also featured more about the later events around Save Top Field, and about how the ground looks now.
I'm interested to see what the other 99 grounds are too!
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Cat Daisy wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:29 pm I am not sure how the finalised text ended up. The draft I saw was from 3-4 years ago. It certainly drew upon Neil's book as well as old newspaper articles. It also featured more about the later events around Save Top Field, and about how the ground looks now.
I'm interested to see what the other 99 grounds are too!
Our website telling us that the Crystal Palace match in 1871 was 'certainly' played at Top Field always makes me chuckle! It's possible of course, but I've not been able to confirm it. It's possible someone could research it in the nineteenth century football annuals (Charles Alcock etc), but I've been unable to find one.
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

Hitchin was 5th in the list...quite beautiful book in terms of photography. St. Albans was number three. Number one was Lewes!
A book that will prompt great debate - clearly the ranking is very non-league biased, 100 great stadiums judged by non-league groundhopper, perhaps - very difficult to agree with Lewes as number one, indeed Hitchin number five. But that's football for you - 30,000 different opinions in one stadium.
Excellent book, though, a must.
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

They are clearly grounds that the author really enjoyed visiting, rather than the 'greatest'. Hence, some surprise down here in Sussex at Lewes being No 1.
Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

It was going to be called "100 British Grounds to see before you die" but that wisely got changed - but it does reveal a slightly different perspective. Maybe "most evocative" is a better phrase?

Lewes is in there I suspect for the overall matchday experience, the whimsical bits of the ground and probably some good lobbying. It's at the top of my list of grounds still to visit. Agree there are other grounds in Sussex that are very picturesque like Worthing United.

A lot of modern league grounds either look like tin boxes or, increasingly in the monied circuit, wannabe flying saucers. And many lose points for moving out of town.

Mind you modern non-league grounds aren't much better - I like Arbour Park Slough, Dartford's statue and green roof, and Enfield for the main stand but I'm struggling to think of others.

Anyway, waiting for Santa to deliver my copy.
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

A lot of grounds are notable for their location rather than the construct.
The list was compiled by votes, which explains why so many non league grounds are included. I doubt most people have never heard of some of the grounds. But ignore the rankings, it is a stunning book. I haven’t stopped looking at it.
Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

Neil wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:19 am A lot of grounds are notable for their location rather than the construct.
The list was compiled by votes, which explains why so many non league grounds are included. I doubt most people have never heard of some of the grounds. But ignore the rankings, it is a stunning book. I haven’t stopped looking at it.
You sold it to me Neil ! .. Just ordered my copy from Amazon, £20.92 inc. postage on Prime, arriving tomorrow... :happy2:

I hope you're on commission :big_grin:
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Hope you all buy it through Easy Funding that gives the Club a payback for using them ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic