VAR Does Not Work

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Geoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

VAR Does Not Work

Post by Geoff »

It's official:
VAR does NOT work fairly.... :warning2: :warning2: :warning2: .
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55893555

"Confusion will be my epitaph"
ClubAdmin

Re: VAR Does Not Work

Post by ClubAdmin »

What is really telling now is that VAR is not working to bring about consistency in decisions and even supporting the actual current laws of the game.

Two handball scenarios (see below):
1. Fulham had an equaliser against Tottenham ruled out because handball was given (pic 1).
2. Liverpool were denied a penalty because handball was not given (pic 2).

What I really don't understand is the inconsistency. Why was one ruled as handball and one not? And which is the more obvious handball?
Fulham Chelsea Handballs.jpg
Fulham Chelsea Handballs.jpg (44.94 KiB) Viewed 3560 times
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
Geoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Geoff »

Even with refs in front of screens watching hundreds of angles,they still get it wrong.
I don't watch very much of the prima donnas football any more because, besides being boring, VAR is killing the game.
Scrap VAR and just use goal line technology, which from most of the bits I've seen won't be used very often.

It would be nice to see the game return to the players, when they can rely on a ref to not yellow card every foul. Most players and fans know when a challenge is worth a yellow card or just a free kick.
AND, when a defender saves a goal bound shot (and I've seen some great saves,years ago), give the penalty kick but don't send the player off. IMO that double punishment does not fit the crime. :warning2:

Anyway, it will be good to get to football again so we can let the refs know how good we think they are ;)
"Confusion will be my epitaph"
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

VAR does work if used properly. The technology is there, it is the way it is being applied - referees are using it as a crutch, play is being brought back and minuscule fractions are being used to determine offside decisions. For a goal to be scored, the ball has to be completely over the line, for someone to be offside, their shirt sleeve or long hair can cause an infringement. This is ridiculous because the "line" that's drawn cannot be seen by a player and we are talking millimetres. VAR should solve conflict, not create it. It's here to stay, so we have to fine tune it to make it work properly. But I am 100% in favour - look at all the mistakes that went unsolved for decades.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic