Luton Town

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Luton Town

Post by Brian »

One game away from the Premier League.

Absolutely incredible from where they were just nine years ago playing non-league football.
Pelly Ruddock Mpanzu who played Conference Premier for Luton started last nights game and is still only 29.

Whatever happens on 27th May at Wembley, it's been an incredible journey but hoping to see the Hatters back in the top flight for the first time since 1992.

Sky Blue Canary
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Luton Town

Post by Sky Blue Canary »

Whoever wins it'll be a great story, Coventry City were in League Two in 2017/18.

I hope I don't lose any friends at the football club when Coventry win.

Oops, I meant "if"
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Sky Blue Canary wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:20 pm Whoever wins it'll be a great story, Coventry City were in League Two in 2017/18.

I hope I don't lose any friends at the football club when Coventry win.

Oops, I meant "if"
Peter, if Luton play like they did against Sunderland, we’ll you know what will happen😉😎
Sky Blue Canary
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sky Blue Canary »

I should have known it from the very start
I chose a club that would break my heart
Listen people what I'm telling you
At least we've got rid of (***) SISU

*** Can't think of a word to fit

Congratulations Luton
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Super day out at Wembley yesterday. Gifted a ticket for a seat up in the gods, I was worried I'd get a poor view, but happily I could see everything (excepting the occasions jack in the box supporters in front of me decided to bob up and down, as is their wont). Nothing negative to say about the day at all (I was in the Luton end!)
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Congratulations to Luton.

Unfortunately I couldn't get a ticket but cheered them on from the settee.

Good to see Stuart Hammonds on the pitch in his suit at the end.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Also at Wembley on Saturday fortunate enough to be given a ticket by a good friend.

Brilliant day with the weather perfect. Still cant believe what I saw and just hope next season does not prove embarrassing.
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

I was there along with Allan Johnson and I thank him for the brilliant seats in Club Wembley.
Incredible atmosphere, everyone really enjoying the atmosphere but what tension that penalty shootout was!
Took forever to get away on our coach but who cared, no one did!
So pleased to be there to watch history being made and look forward to our annual pre season friendly at a full Top Field 🤞🤞
Becca1980
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Becca1980 »

DarrenW wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:16 amjust hope next season does not prove embarrassing.
Don't really think it would matter if it was embarrassing, the money earned from promotion could benefit them well if spent right.

I just hope they don't do what some promoted clubs do and offer big wages to players who if they get relegated they are stuck with.

What it does show, once again, is like Blackpool getting promoted to the Premier League and Leicester winning the Premier League etc is that a good team spirit in the squad can go further than a big budget.

Luton already had a good team spirit with a good work ethic under Nathan Jones but I think they got even better under Rob Edwards, so for him to go in and get even more out of the squad is a fantastic achievement.
Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

Good posting Becca.

As a Luton fan I too was worried about what might happen if they achieved promotion but when Mick Harford was interviewed by Sky Sports just before kick off, he summed it up nicely.

When asked what £170m would mean to Luton his response was.

"It will set club up and pay for the new ground " and I think that's the key. The club can't move forward until the new ground is built. Now they have the finances to do it.

I think they will be like Norwich City. Norwich never spend much money when they get promoted to the Premier League but the parachute payments allow them to be competitive when back in the Championship. I know this season they weren't but normally they bounce right back.

I don't think Luton will spend big. They haven't in the Championship. Its incredible to think they only spent three seasons in the Championship. Were very nearly relegated in season one, made play-offs in season two and won the play-offs in season three. Their squad is still mainly League 1 and 2 players.

I fully expect Luton to come straight back down but a new 20,000 capacity ground will allow the club to grow and realise its potential.
As for next season, we just have to enjoy the ride and maybe upset a few big boys on the way.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic