Ship Lane Purfleet/Thurrock

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ship Lane Purfleet/Thurrock

Post by Chris_N »

Ship Lane, home to Thurrock FC from their formation (as Purfleet) in 1985 until their dissolution in 2018. Amazingly, after 5 years, the nets are still hanging on the goalposts, though the pitch needs a bit of work before a ball can be kicked into them again. It is possible that Grays Athletic will soon be taking this ground on as their new home.

Anyone remember going here? I did a couple of times - highlights included us gatecrashing a wedding reception in the hotel (not sure how that happened), and going there on the first day of the season and winning 1-0 with a goal by Stewart Beevor.
Purfleet - Thurrock  19-08-23.jpg
Purfleet - Thurrock 19-08-23.jpg (41.22 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
Purfleet - Thurrock  19-08-23  2.jpg
Purfleet - Thurrock 19-08-23 2.jpg (52.13 KiB) Viewed 1622 times

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Ship Lane Purfleet/Thurrock

Post by DarrenW »

Went here once and probably unique as only club ive been to that did not have a clubhouse of there own (They used next doors hotel bar).

Not partically a fond memory owing to Purfleet lacking fans so was a bit like the Team Bath experience. Big enough ground no fans no noise.
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

The hotel used to be part of Thurrock Technical College, also known as Bushy Bit. I used to go there between 1975 and 1977 on day release from work. I would get a bus to Aveley village and then walk down Ship Lane. Quite perilous.
Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

Meanwhile East Thurrock call it a day - although their ground is still used by Basildon Town.
https://thurrock.nub.news/news/local-ne ... old-198115
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic