Where Did All the Forum Users Go?

Use this board to discuss just about anything else but not related to Hitchin Town FC or Football in general.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

ClubAdmin

Re: Where Did All the Forum Users Go?

Post by ClubAdmin »

I think you make a very good point Brian in that there are a number of our supporters for whom the Forum is still the best place to get a point across.

It's very interesting, because I have always used email (which I have heard referred to as "so 2010") as the most effective way that I can get my own point across in any scenario. But I am now finding that this is not as effective as it used to be. Three reasons in my perception:
1. People who have not naturally used email as their prime means of communication in a workplace have neither the attention span nor "etiquette" to use it as it was originally intended. Hence it doesn't get read or responded to. And here I think I am one of the "old school" where I think that in many scenarios, not to respond to emails, even just to note or acknowledge receipt, is actually impolite.
2. They see it as being too time consuming to engage in.
3. In 2021 it seems that emphasis is one line and one word answers via Facebook, Twitter and the likes, so if you can't get your point across effectively in this scenario then you're effectively banging your head against a brick wall in some cases or seen as being too long-winded.

So for those of us who think they still need more time and space to put points across, and hopefully encourage engagement of others, then there is still a place for the Forum. When the football comes back I do hope more will engage. After all, look at Anthony: He has shared masses of valuable historical information via this Forum that I hope we can pick up and properly archive so we have our history in the one place. He's done masses of work which deserves, IMHO, more recognotion.

Let's hope we can encourage more use when we all properly have our heads back in the game.

"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

I think there’s another reason and it’s a general comment about social media trends. Forums were originally set up for debate, but current trends seem to discourage contrasting views. In other words, disagreement is interpreted as “you’re with us or against us”. Football seems to demand 100% blind loyalty among fans rather than allowing scope for an alternative view. It goes beyond football, politics is a prime example. The opposition are no longer seen as opponents but enemies. Very few people are willing to ask searching questions as the
Iikelihood is they will get shouted down or accused of disloyalty. People always need to challenge the status quo, whether it is a local football club, local authorities or governments. Clubs don’t like fans forums, never have. The Hitchin forum used to be quite toxic way back, then it improved, then it all but disappeared. Only if honest, civil and open debate is encouraged will it return, but the more the demographic changes the less likely it is that will happen. It’s probably a dead duck.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

A well-argued topic, as all topics should be. The big advantage of social media is also its greatest disadvantage; anyone can be a teenager again on a forum, with all that entails, even a 71 year old like me! ;)
LTFC
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by LTFC »

There’s an Elephant in the room
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic