Jobsworth 1 Villager 0

Use this board to discuss just about anything else but not related to Hitchin Town FC or Football in general.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jobsworth 1 Villager 0

Post by anthony.brown »

"You have to move"
"Ok, I'll move"
And I did, straight to the exit, missing both our goals and the Frendo and Martin cameos.................
I'd been standing there for half an hour, and even spoke to another steward about the game.... while standing there.
I always obey the stewards, even when I believe they are wrong, but all is forgiven and I'll be back next match.
So sad I was unable to join in the post match ovation for Dan.

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Jobsworth 1 Villager 0

Post by DarrenW »

Could think of a few stories steward related all being at away clubs.

Yeovil in 1996 memorable. Came through the gate and a steward spotted our colours. They marched us past the Yeovil fans down one side and closed the gate behind us. The away end was literally one end of the ground and there was about 10 of us max. We had our own tea bar and toilets that day.

I think even the hardest jobsworth would be stupid to think 10 fans would start on 1000+ home fans.

Edit ive never had a negative experience with the usual stewards at Top Field. There all good lads when ive spoken to them. Sorry this happened Villager but maybe a new one?
Chris_N
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Chris_N »

One that springs to mind for me was a League Cup tie at Kings Lynn. Eight of us behind the goal (2 of which were seasoned hooligans John TG and Frank King). 25 and I mean 25 stewards to look after us. We all had our own personal steward called Les. Well, we had Les 1, Les 2 and Les 3 each!!
Second half, we are chasing the game and win a corner. Moony jumps over the 2ft perimeter fence to return the ball and speed things up, they then want to eject him from the ground!

After some deliberation, the CHIEF Steward was summoned and listened to our reasoning and Moony was spared. Powerful boys those Kings Lynn stewards back then! John TG was strapping his DMs on ready for action!! :big_grin: :big_grin: :lol: . Worst case of over-zealous stewarding I had ever experienced.

In our case, sorry for your unfortunate experience Villager, we will address the matter and hopefully deal with it better next time.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Chris_N wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:21 pm One that springs to mind for me was a League Cup tie at Kings Lynn. Eight of us behind the goal (2 of which were seasoned hooligans John TG and Frank King). 25 and I mean 25 stewards to look after us. We all had our own personal steward called Les. Well, we had Les 1, Les 2 and Les 3 each!!
Second half, we are chasing the game and win a corner. Moony jumps over the 2ft perimeter fence to return the ball and speed things up, they then want to eject him from the ground!

After some deliberation, the CHIEF Steward was summoned and listened to our reasoning and Moony was spared. Powerful boys those Kings Lynn stewards back then! John TG was strapping his DMs on ready for action!! :big_grin: :big_grin: :lol: . Worst case of over-zealous stewarding I had ever experienced.

In our case, sorry for your unfortunate experience Villager, we will address the matter and hopefully deal with it better next time.
Moonie and Stewards is another one. Dag N Red his rant I consider epic. Took one steward the chairman and a copper (in that order) to take his flag down. He replied "Three f'in times ive been here and a copper has spoke to me each time"

The dispute was over the flag covering an unmarked fire exit. To be fair to Moonie that day he was in the right. It was unmarked and no signs. If there was a fire no sod would know it was there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic