Lockdown Reading

Use this board to discuss just about anything else but not related to Hitchin Town FC or Football in general.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Lock Down Reading

Post by anthony.brown »

Those of us who have been locked away for the last few weeks ARE VERY GRATEFUL, Keith. I greet and thank all delivery staff who come to the door, after they have retreated, of course. I do not wish my solitude on any distribution workers. 'None essential' ? Thank you SO much for darkening my mood in these difficult times. Looking up and looking forward to Saturday when my lovely niece brings my weekly shopping to my door. Thank you, Ginny.

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

Well said Anthony, I too am very grateful to those still working and will be applauding them all at 8;00 tonight. I would be very happy to still be working myself and getting paid, unfortunately I am not as I started as self employed after redundancy at the the end 2018 and am one of many many thousands now out of work remaining locked in (other than twice daily trips between two homes to care for a vulnerable person) and getting nothing by way of support.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Given today is the anniversary of Shakespeare's death and possibly, but not definitely the anniversary of his birth, a good bit of lockdown reading would be to see if you can get right through his complete works before lockdown ends!
Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart »

RST wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:51 am Given today is the anniversary of Shakespeare's death and possibly, but not definitely the anniversary of his birth, a good bit of lockdown reading would be to see if you can get right through his complete works before lockdown ends!
:rotfl2: :bounce: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!: :eek!:
Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

I will give that a miss, would rather watch paint dry..................blast I am🤓😎
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

I have to say that when I first saw the title of this thread I did wonder what on earth the good people of Berkshire had been up to and why it was necessary to lock down Reading.

:mrgreen:
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

My first visit to Reading was on a football special train. The match was rained off, and all the Hatters' fans were forced to wait three hours in a wet and windy (and very boring) Reading town centre before the return journey. In the 70s, I remember pubs and chippies locking their doors at the sight of approaching away fans. That's life!

Just finished reading the Bela Guttman biography. Superb. My mother had a Catholic father, and a mother who was born Jewish but converted to Catholicism, so that probably explains why she supported Rapid rather than Hakoah Wien. I suppose my grandmother's origins had something to do with the burial of her first daughter, who died as a baby in 1928, in the Jewish section of Vienna's massive graveyard.

I obtained a copy of 'Pubs & Pints: The story of LUTON'S Public Houses & Breweries' by Stuart Smith (published by The Book Castle in 1995). I thought it would be good to remember some of the drinking holes I was too smashed to remember when I was using them, and thought also that it would take me some time to get through the 300 pages. I actually read it cover to cover in one day, so engrossing wozzit! It will have a nice position on my bookshelf.
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Lockdown Reading

Post by Neil »

I've been to that cemetery, Anthony, searching for a grave!
That Bela Guttmann book is excellent.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I have far too many pictures in my photo album of relatives' grave stones in the Vienna cemetery. One feels one's age when the whole of your parents' generation has disappeared into the ether (my last paternal (English) aunt died a couple of years ago).
The lockdown has been weird. Reaching a low point last week; suddenly cheering up, as if the lockdown is just starting again.
If anyone notices my postings begin to become obsessive about obscure, unimportant, historical details, please come to Offley and give me a huge kick; from a decent social distance.
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

The Zentral Friedhof cemetery is worth a visit if you haven't been there. It is an A-Z of classical composers for starters. I found the grave of a very famous Austrian footballers, Matthias Sindelar, whose story is v interesting. Fresh flowers are always on his grave.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic