Time for change?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Time for change?

Post by DarrenW »

MichaelD wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:45 pm I think Hitchin are in the wrong league for attracting better players, regardless of paying higher wages. Too much travelling in comparison, it seems, to the Isthmian League. Hitchin's position is not just down to the manager, or coaching staff, other factors all seem to be combining together. Oh for the days of loaning a Mike Small who can score 40 goals in a season.
It's an interesting point you make there. Back in 2003 I (and I stand to be corrected on this) We opted to join the Southern league and back then it was full of West Country teams.

We certainly had a better quality of a team back in the 90's as you state we had better quality in the Isthmian but fast forward 18 years and the way things have gone have we really benefited from it? I have to say no but will take into account the management not knowing the boundaries on the league's meaning we'd have probably be forced into it anyway.

Let us not forget that Hitchin and Baldock Fc the boundary was that tight in the 90's they was Southern we was Isthmian.

Take Cambridge City playing in the Northern Div 1? Even after making leagues more travel friendly it's a mess. That one is down to the FA.

If anything we have got off light. Our only penalty is where we sit in the country. 20 miles or less South we'd be an Isthmian club still.

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Wow that's a 'hot take' as the kids say about supporting a football team
Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

Supporting a team does not mean you become blind to problems...Blind loyalty is a dangerous thing. Equally, constructive opinion should be welcomed. The team is not unlucky, they’ve played almost 50% of their league games. I think people have accepted relegation is on the cards, but there seems to be a sense of denial that the team is woefully short of experience and savvy. But it can change.
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

I suppose the question is could a new manager do any better with the present squad of players.
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

MichaelD wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:39 pm I suppose the question is could a new manager do any better with the present squad of players.
Or who could be a good replacement.

Happy to stay with Burkey as things stand as dont believe there is a better replacement if being realistic.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Jacqueline Mary wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:34 pm
russell wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:21 pm Wow that's a 'hot take' as the kids say about supporting a football team
Am I missing something? Did I post something factually incorrect?

Am I not allowed to be quick off the mark with my upset at the fact that we cannot and have not won a single league game away this season together with our rock bottom league position?

I have posted a lot this season but at the same time I have always consciously tried to be fair and balanced.

Quite frankly I’m stunned at the silence in general and what appears on the surface to be acceptance amongst many supporters that we’re getting relegated.

Maybe you’re okay with the prospect Russell. I’m not.
Apologies for being sarcastic Jackie! I just don't see how stopping going to Top Field is going to help. Also how does it work? Would you begin going again once the team starts winning?
Sky Blue Canary
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Sky Blue Canary »

We've lost 13 points from winning positions but we've saved no points from losing positions this season.

With 21 games remaining, we're yet to play Peterborough Sports (3rd) and Rushall Olympic (4th) home or away.

Our best hope is to get above Lowestoft, St Ives and Redditch but in our three games away to those teams we won one point.

Fun fact: It's 400 days since our last away win in the league.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Does 19th place automatically go down? I saw one table where there is another line between 19th and 20th suggesting a play off
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Jacqueline Mary wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:41 am When Stourbridge were in the bottom three just two months ago their supporters were literally ripping the s*** out of the club’s management on social media. Now some may well argue that’s not appropriate behaviour. But my point is those fans will give their last breath, passionately, argumentatively and whatever it takes to get their club in a better place. They call a spade a spade and actually don’t care who they offend. Subsequently they clawed their way out of the relegation zone, which started with a win over us.
And they are now sitting comfortably 1 point above the drop zone.
RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

russell wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:27 am Does 19th place automatically go down? I saw one table where there is another line between 19th and 20th suggesting a play off
There will be seven clubs reprieved from relegation at our Step 3 (four divisons) Russell. It'll be decided on Points Per Game, so staying bottom definitely won't help our cause!

By my reckoning there are currently only 5 teams at Step 3 with a worse PPG than us, so we still have work to do to survive by that escape route!

Click on the image below to see the whole Tweet:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic