How far does your loyalty stretch?

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: How far does your loyalty stretch?

Post by MichaelD »

Very good post. It doesn't just come down to the manager it is the whole set up of the club. Ambition at Hitchin's level unfortunately calls for more money to be spent; usually a 'better' manager to be installed. Often the two go hand in hand. It could be that Mark Burke values loyalty over personal ambition, or perhaps he has found his true level. Who knows?
Perhaps newer supporters will demand more of the club than previous generations have. Even if they do, the only power they might have is to withhold their money at the turnstiles - as many in the past have done temporarily or permanently.
On the other hand, success through ambition can increase crowds and revenue significantly. Down on the south coast last season, we had three ambitious and successful sides attracting crowds of 1000 + for home games.

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Said it yourself. 200 odd Burkey loyalists. That's around half the regular support when infact I think it's more than that and your still pushing your campaign. It's getting tiresome as becoming clear you wont quit while Burkey is at the club.

Has to be said. If most people dont like something they dont pay for it.
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

It is far too simplistic to see Mark Burke as the thing holding the club back from being more ambitious and successful. He is just one of a long line of Hitchin managers who have only been able to achieve very limited success with the resources available to them. Being loyal to the present manager, whoever he might be, is commendable but it also an acceptance that the level of success is always going to be constrained by limited resources.
Is that realism or a lack of ambition?
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

MichaelD wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:40 pm It is far too simplistic to see Mark Burke as the thing holding the club back from being more ambitious and successful. He is just one of a long line of Hitchin managers who have only been able to achieve very limited success with the resources available to them. Being loyal to the present manager, whoever he might be, is commendable but it also an acceptance that the level of success is always going to be constrained by limited resources.
Is that realism or a lack of ambition?
Two way's it can go. A few clubs have taken the boom or bust approach and the end result is the club has to restart as a phoenix club. Very few for me reap long term benefits of such an approach.

My preference is and always has been live within the clubs means and stand by that. Mark has bought more success than any manager in the last 25 years at Hitchin on a limited budget.
Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Greenfinch »

Your post says it all Darren,also, nobody pulls on a Hitchin shirt without ambition,its in a footballers nature to win every game.This is our level, and be thankful that we are financially sound,its not all about the football,we serve the community,we can mingle round the ground, have a cup of tea in peace, bring families with their kids,no abusive language,our town is not big enough to sustain a higher league,w'eve been trying since 1928.There's been plenty of posts about the current situation,changing the manager, really? (be careful what you wish for)New players? cost money,and there is a set budget.I'm content to stay in the Southern League Premier(and that's hard enough)have a cup run,support everyone that enables that to continue, and meet my football mates,job done
DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Greenfinch wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:33 pm Your post says it all Darren,also, nobody pulls on a Hitchin shirt without ambition,its in a footballers nature to win every game.This is our level, and be thankful that we are financially sound,its not all about the football,we serve the community,we can mingle round the ground, have a cup of tea in peace, bring families with their kids,no abusive language,our town is not big enough to sustain a higher league,w'eve been trying since 1928.There's been plenty of posts about the current situation,changing the manager, really? (be careful what you wish for)New players? cost money,and there is a set budget.I'm content to stay in the Southern League Premier(and that's hard enough)have a cup run,support everyone that enables that to continue, and meet my football mates,job done
Agree few away days with mates each season. I like your posting. It's never been just about the football for me.
Spooks
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Spooks »

Good post Greenfinch,someone who is loyal to the club and manager.
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

What would real accountability from the board entail?
MichaelD
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MichaelD »

What would real accountability from the board entail?
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

I hope this means the end of all the bickering. All football forums suffer from knee-jerk syndrome, and many fans have given up commenting because they fear the inevitable sarcastic replies from forum 'stirrers'. Let us leave Cloud Cuckoo Land, and go back to SUPPORTING the lads on the pitch. Rant over.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic