Fans forums

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fans forums

Post by Cat Daisy » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:10 pm

I'll put this link here on the basis that it must be a generic piece about all clubs' fans forums rather than anything more specific.

https://gameofthepeople.com/2019/02/10/ ... e5hWGOMPok

I have no problem with raising questions on any forum although I would draw the line at berating hard-working matchday / club volunteers (especially if I could just speak to them and resolve questions offline).

For what it's worth, as of a few minutes ago, there were 216 users logged on to Brentford's Griffin Park Grapevine, and 320 on the Dulwich Hamlet parent forum.

ClubAdmin

Re: Fans forums

Post by ClubAdmin » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:20 pm

It's a very interesting piece - well written as always and it does raise some real truths.

From my perspective, there is absolutely nothing wrong with challenging the "status quo" or "comfort zones", if it helps to sow the seeds for people to understand and accept where we actually are in 2019.

The issue, as you rightly say, is when hard working volunteers are criticised and berated. It's normally by folks who are themselves unwilling to volunteer, and take the volunteering for granted. Or.....because as we have seen all too often, the issue is not the criticism of the Club or an individual, but the alternative agenda in seeking personal attention in making the criticism. Such scenarios hijack and dominate the Forum and dilute or detract from the actual issue at hand. Which is why personal agendas are so highly unacceptable.

We can often learn from challenge or criticism and use it as a means of improvement, if that's the way we view it. I wish that our Forum could be more buoyant, but to be honest - as I've said.....the younger part of our support have moved to What'sApp or Instagram, where one line (or even one word) responses are the norm. As I may have said before...the advice I received that "email is so 2010" still makes me laugh and reminds me where I am in the real world. But it does illustrate that whilst Forums do have a part to play, interest in them seems to be waning.

Would love to see some comments on Neil's piece from others.
If you don't challenge the status quo, you don't change for tomorrow.......

JohnTG
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by JohnTG » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:16 am

The various forums at Non League Matters continue to increase the number of members with sensible debate and information. The fixtures and results data are also attracting more hits. A snapshot as at now:

Number of posts: 734249
Number of threads: 42855
Number of replies 691394
Posts in the last hour 5
Posts in the last 6 hours 24
Posts in the last day 129
Posts in the last week 798
Posts in the last month 3685

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:37 pm

It's a very useful resource, John, and here's the link to this division ...
https://www.nonleaguematters.co.uk/divisions/239/

pudgy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by pudgy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:27 pm

To quote a couple of Neil's points:-

We live in an era where nobody is allowed to disagree with the official narrative, and if they do, they are labelled as “trouble”.

People who act as the proverbial “thorn in the side” should be thanked, not ostracised.

A couple of excellent points in a fine article, a good antidote to any over-zealous site administrator or over-sensitive contributor.

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:21 pm

pudgy wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:27 pm
over-sensitive contributor.
So the "Where Are We Going" committee have coined that one.

I'd say over-sensitive is something completely different, like e-mails complaining about folks "liking" Facebook posts.

pudgy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by pudgy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:18 pm

Who are the "Where Are We going Committee" committee Cat? Is that a sub-committee of the Board?

My interpretation of 'over-sensitive' is contributors who react to the use of 'over-sensitive'. They often begin sentences with 'So'

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:10 pm

pudgy wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:18 pm
Who are the "Where Are We going Committee" committee Cat? Is that a sub-committee of the Board?

My interpretation of 'over-sensitive' is contributors who react to the use of 'over-sensitive'. They often begin sentences with 'So'
Look back for that thread.

It's probably not worth bothering to mention that I have previously asked similar questions about how money is spent (shopping list for FA Cup winnings), how we become a club that is owned by fans and engages with a wider diverse community, etc. I tried to do it less stridently than some (although with the same, er, answers) while also previously being a volunteer.

As for "over sensitive", go ahead and use the term "snowflake" if it really gets you off. So there!

pudgy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by pudgy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:49 pm

I’m afraid, Cat, I haven’t the energy to chase back through past threads, but, looking at the ‘committee’ title, on reflection, I don’t imagine it has much to do with the Board.

My original post was to compliment Neil on his well-written piece and to highlight the fine line moderators have to tread between allowing a good measure of discussion on controversial issues, with individuals feeling able to raise perhaps unwelcome issues, as opposed to promoting and protecting the ‘official’ line. Too much of the former and the site becomes a bit ‘wild-west’, too much of the latter kills off debate. Not an easy judgement, and it would be interesting to learn how contributors feel about this forum.

My second point, on sensitivity, really concerned contributors, who have to accept that their point of view is sometimes contested, and at times, rather robustly contested. It’s the nature of debate. A thick skin is sometimes a benefit.

As far as I’m aware Cat, we’ve never met, and I’ve no idea who you are, but I’m puzzled why you suggest I might wish to call you a snowflake and ‘get off’ (whatever that means) by calling you that. It sounds rather offensive, but you might not have intended that. Whatever, from what you’ve written in the latter part of your post, it may be that we’re singing from the same song-sheet.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:12 pm

One cannot expect reasoned debate on any forum, as fans are so biased in respect of their own teams (and so they should be!). It is refreshing to see contributions from experts like Neil, who know their subject from the inside out, but their postings tend to be the exception rather than the rule. No one likes to see threads ruined by trolls and would-be trolls, who insert expletives into any debate they chose. So I have no nostalgic yearnings to return to a busy forum ruined by personal invective. But that's just my opinion............................................

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic