Womens World Cup 2019

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

Geoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Womens World Cup 2019

Post by Geoff » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:36 pm

There is an article on BBC website about Fifa 'entrenched in chauvinism' over prize money
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48535933

Don't make me laugh.
In my opinion...
Women's football, the little I've seen of it, is nowhere near warranting the money they have been offered.
Mind you, The men's game, a lot of the time, does not warrant the amount of money they receive.

"Confusion will be my epitaph"

Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Womens World Cup 2019

Post by Kate Deller » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:14 am

Hi Geoff,

I've read the article with interest. I can agree with you, that in the main, some women's football is not in the same league as men's. Its no wonder when the FA stamped on any hope of women playing by banning it in 1921 on official grounds which stayed in place for 50 years. We are a few years behind you men in progress. Thank goodness there is an uprising of girls playing football now, our own Hitchin ladies adding another feather to their bow, Hitchin Belles are fielding 10+ junior teams and 1 senior, Stotfold Juniors also field 3+ girls teams. Our top Flight Premiership Clubs have Womens teams affiliated and they play superb football, i've watched some very enjoyable Arsenal Women's matches at Borehamwood.

Its an interesting thing, will we ever bridge that gap? will there ever be enough money pumped in or enough interest in the sport to close the gap of pay?

I also agree that men's football does not warrant the money its paid. I think is disgusting the amount of money some footballers are paid in the top flight, pounds over passion in many cases. Just my opinion.

Male Chauvinism, is it entrenched? Things are changing, but we are a long way off from it not being there. All sport is the same there is a disparity. Wimbledon only paid same prize money to both sexes in 2007, the last international Tennis competition to do so I believe. That is a massive gap quoted "World football's governing body says the £24m awarded to participating teams in 2019 is double the amount of 2015, but £315m was given to teams at the men's 2018 tournament" Is women's football quality £291m worse?

Its an interesting article and discussion thanks for sharing it.

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:13 pm

Kate Deller wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:14 am
All sport is the same there is a disparity. Wimbledon only paid same prize money to both sexes in 2007, the last international Tennis competition to do so I believe.
Tennis is an interesting case as by paying the same money to both sexes at the four grand slam events, the women are effectively being paid the same money for doing 60% of the work. The men play the best of five sets while the women play the best of three. There would, understandably and correctly, be an outcry were that to be the case in other occupations if equally qualified workers were being paid with such a discrepancy - e.g. the men working 35 hours a week and the women 25 hours.

Not saying there shouldn't be equal prize money, but is it fair? One of my mixed doubles partners thinks it is wrong and unfair on the men.

Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:24 pm

RST wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:13 pm
Kate Deller wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:14 am
All sport is the same there is a disparity. Wimbledon only paid same prize money to both sexes in 2007, the last international Tennis competition to do so I believe.
Tennis is an interesting case as by paying the same money to both sexes at the four grand slam events, the women are effectively being paid the same money for doing 60% of the work. The men play the best of five sets while the women play the best of three. There would, understandably and correctly, be an outcry were that to be the case in other occupations if equally qualified workers were being paid with such a discrepancy - e.g. the men working 35 hours a week and the women 25 hours.

Not saying there shouldn't be equal prize money, but is it fair? One of my mixed doubles partners thinks it is wrong and unfair on the men.
Simplified like that on an hourly basis, absolutely not fair!

Blimey it really is a can of worms and not easy to simplify. It is factual that men are stronger than women; is that why there are less sets for the women to play?

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Geoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Geoff » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 pm

God, I hope I'm not included in the audience figures because I watched, maybe, 15 minutes of the second half. :yuck:
"Confusion will be my epitaph"

ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:53 pm

I watched the whole of the USA v Thailand game last night, won 13-0 by the USA. Fact is, some lovely football was played and a few of the goals were as good as any men can score.

So far as the tennis debate goes, there surely has to be some consideration of basic physical strength as to why men play best of 5 sets and women best of 3. Is that really the issue for men, or is it one of parity?

How many men can actually take a step back and honestly say that they regard women as their equals? I think I can, and I don't feel insecure as a result of it. Think the answer is reflected in personal behaviour and attitude.

I think the women's game is doing great now. Long may it continue.
If you don't challenge the status quo, you don't change for tomorrow.......

Canadian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Canadian » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:50 am

OMG!!! I agree with Chris.

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:57 pm

I agree Chris but I share the views with many from social media.

The way the USA celebrated there goals when the game was won dead and dusted is not in keeping with the game for me. They celebrated the 9th goal like it was the first and I think some sporting class needs to be considered. Cultural perhaps but have some respect for the opposition who suffered an embarrassing thrashing without rubbing it in.

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:57 pm

Well let’s see how the women play in the charity match at Stamford Bridge this Sunday for Sport Aid, mixed teams, men and women in the same team, wonder what people will think of that!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic