The gambling problem

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The gambling problem

Post by Neil » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:20 pm

So the league is now sponsored by a gambling company. How sad and how very hypocritical. With clubs running community programmes and claiming to be caring, sharing institutions that embrace the community, care about kids and minorities, the leagues basically take the devil's shilling. Which goes to show that CSR activities are basically designed to make companies and clubs look good rather than defining their identity. Gambling is a major social problem in the modern world, one that should be kept away from children. Once again, though, football has shown that it will dispense with its values in order to grab money from anyone, when will the game realise that your reputation is also determined by who you associate with? There's a lot of money in gambling companies and that's because of all the cash provided by punters. This is a backward step for the Southern League and non-league.

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: The gambling problem

Post by Stuart » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:30 pm

Agree Neil, see my rant on Talk Hitchin Town which I posted 10 mins before I saw yours!
If music be the football of life, play on (extra time and pens if necessary)

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:49 pm

And in another parallel, I had drafted a Twitter thread which says much the same. I'll probably still post it!

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:19 pm

Agree 100% Neil. I am glad you feel that way.

harry.wright
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by harry.wright » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:57 pm

So we've been sold down the Swanee. Despite knowing that many fans were unhappy with the link to "Bet Victor" earlier, our Chairman has led the Southern League into a sponsorship deal with them. The FA state that advertising relating to gambling should not be where vulnerable people and youngsters can be influenced, I can only assume that the club will refuse to sell programmes to these people as the front cover will be plastered with the sponsors name, and presumably with adverts on the inside. The club was crowing a few weeks ago having been awarded the Charter Mark. Having demonstrated that they have neither scruples or conscience, they should hand the award back. Rabbie Burns got it about right, when he wrote (with apologies for the one change).

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.
The English steel we could disdain,
Secure in valour's station;
But Bet Victor's gold has been our bane -
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:01 pm

I think conflating the hard work put in by the club collectively to achieve the Charter Mark, and the league taking Victor's gold is wrong. It is how the club - as an individual club - now responds.
My earlier idea of donating to a gambling addiction charity still stands. Maybe others have better constructive suggestions?

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:48 pm

And from James Thomson (b.v)
Because a cold rage seizes one at whiles
To show the bitter old and wrinkled truth
Stripped naked of all vesture that beguiles,
False dreams, false hopes, false masks and modes of youth;
Because it gives some sense of power and passion
In helpless impotence to try to fashion
Our woe in living words how'er uncouth
Last edited by anthony.brown on Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harry.wright
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by harry.wright » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Cat Daisy, I totally respect your right to your views and opinions. Gaining the charter mark shows a commitment to the community, not some of it. People with gambling problems are part of that community and deserve better. Most disappointing of all is that a man I believed was both a gentleman and an honourable man, demonstrates that he has no integrity whatsoever. I can therefore no longer have any confidence in Terry Barratt's ability to act in the best interests of the club, and that saddens me.

ClubComms

Post by ClubComms » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:55 pm

harry.wright wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:57 pm
The club was crowing a few weeks ago having been awarded the Charter Mark. Having demonstrated that they have neither scruples or conscience, they should hand the award back.
I say this as my personal opinion. Neil states his disapproval of the Southern League's decision in his usual structured and reasoned manner. It's a strongly held opinion which I understand and respect, but until football as a whole bans betting companies from sponsoring clubs and leagues, it will be the survival of the fittest and clubs will do sponsorship deals with these companies to survive and compete. Fact. Whatever I personally believe. It won't spoil my enjoyment of the game.

But Harry....what a load of old rubbish you talk here. I know how much work was put in to achieve the Charter award and yes I will crow about it. But no, you point accusations and blame at our Chairman and the rest of the Management Committee for a decision that we had absolutely no control over. As Colin said, to conflate the work that we undertook to achieve the Adult Standard Charter Mark and to be informed by the League that the new sponsors were a betting company, and trying to regard these two episodes in the same context, is very wrong and unfair of you.

Next you'll be saying we should leave Steps 3 and 4 ....ALL of the 11 Divisions of which are now sponsored by the aforementioned betting company, and demote ourselves to the South Midlands League. That really would be best for the Club's long-term future wouldn't it? We could all bowl along at the lowest level we would ever have played at, but at least we could do so with a clear conscience and be scrupulous.

So much good has happened at the Club in the last year. Some of us are working very hard to bring about real positive change, and whilst the majority of true Hitchin fans give terrific support, as a volunteer it is rather galling to have to stomach postings like your one above. Excuse the pun. Do you really personally feel that way about the Club that you "support"?

And you cannot pin this one on Terry either. He was representing 84 Southern League Clubs in his position as Chairman of the Southern League, not merely Hitchin Town. So please Harry, stop throwing ridiculous accusations. Or go and have a moan at Rushall Olympic, or Merstham, or Atherton Collieries, or Yaxley, or any other Southern, Northern Premier or Isthmian League team.....after all, by what you say, all 227 of their committees are as unscrupulous as us and clearly all have the same lack of conscience......and any of them who have worked as hard as we have to gain Charter Mark status should hand them back as well.
If you don't challenge the status quo, you don't change for tomorrow.......

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:37 am

Harry not reflecting on what Chris has said. Im not drawing on that. I may agree with it but that fact remains I saw you a the Leatherhead home game and held my hand out and was pleased to see you.

I know you have limitations but like Brian I remember the recent good you did for this club. Come along to the game and less of the keyboard stuff? Im always good for a chat within the ground as im sure other are.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic