Cricket WC

Use this board to discuss just about anything else but not related to Hitchin Town FC or Football in general.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cricket WC

Post by DarrenW » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:43 pm

Surprised this has not been mentioned yet.

Great performance by our lads today making Australia look painfully ordinary.

Many will be pleased to hear that it's being shown live on C4 on Sunday.

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Cricket WC

Post by Steve » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Well the final was the most exciting and tense one day cricket match I’ve ever watched, it swung one way then the other and back again so many times.
We throughly deserved to win it and we showed the world how good we are at hosting major sporting competitions.

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:30 am

Steve wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:44 pm
Well the final was the most exciting and tense one day cricket match I’ve ever watched, it swung one way then the other and back again so many times.
We throughly deserved to win it and we showed the world how good we are at hosting major sporting competitions.
Agree was the best one day game or indeed game of cricket ive ever watched. Absolutely brilliant viewing.

One thing I cant agree on Steve is the deserved winner part. New Zealand fielded brilliantly and it was the luck of hitting the bat with that run out that effectively decided the game for me. Very harsh on the Kewi's all be it within the rules.

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:05 am

Congratulations to England, sometimes there are tight margins between winning and losing but that's the tightest I've ever known.

Agree New Zealand were unlucky but they got an equally flukey four at the end of their innings when a bouncer that Buttler had covered bounced in front of him, hitting a divert and shooting 45 degrees across him to the boundary. He stood there in amazement.

With lots of sponsors, fans and three weeks of cricket there has to be a winner. It made a change for it to be England.

I could cite England in Italia 90, Euro 96, France 98, South Africa 2010 and the ladies in Canada 2015 (not USA) where England have been unlucky and didn't get the rub of the green but that's life.
Let's enjoy a rare piece of success.

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:13 am

Darren, I meant we deserved to win it on our overall performance in the competition not just the final, 6 weeks of great cricket matches.

KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by KEITH » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:41 am

I don't watch cricket as it can be tedious a lot of the time but I got home on Sunday & thought, just out interest, what's the score. There were around 5 overs of Englands innings left so I started watching. It was, I have to confess, a must watch to the end, edge of your seat stuff &, for once, we won!! Will I watch cricket from now on... no. No I hear you cry! Well it can't get any better than that so there's no point. It would just be an anti climax & disappointment would be prevelant. So there it is, I'm still not a cricket fan. 🙂
Pessimists are never disappointed.

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:38 pm

Unexciting cricket in fine weather is a splendid way to spend a day. Unexciting cricket that costs £50 a day - like next week's test match between England and Ireland at Lords - is not good. The cricket authorities are still determined to kill the goose that has just laid a golden egg!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic