FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

JohnTG
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round

Post by JohnTG » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:47 pm

I note that Biggleswade having dropped the 'FC' are now plying their trade in the Southern League Division One Central and will now play in the FA Cup.

They have been drawn at home to Mildenhall Town in the Extra Preliminary Round, Winner collects £2,250, Losers collect £750.

The winner of the above tie have been drawn at home to Yaxley, Winners collect 2.890, Losers £960.

Biggleswade (FC) should not be confused with Biggleswade Town or Biggleswade United and are a totally independent run club.

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round

Post by russell » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 pm

I've never understood why they have so many teams.. does anyone know any reasons for it?

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:44 am

russell wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:52 pm
I've never understood why they have so many teams.. does anyone know any reasons for it?
Biggleswade Town and United have been going for years.

Two or three years old Biggleswade Town disbanded all their junior and youth teams. The former Biggleswade Town Under 18's wanted to stay together and a new club Biggleswade FC was formed to facilitate this. They are a totally seperate entity to United or Town and I believe they play on the pitches in front of Biggleswade Town's ground.

Since Lee Allinson has become Manager of Biggleswade Town, they have restarted youth sides using players from Lee's Academy.

JohnTG
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by JohnTG » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:50 am

Biggleswade (FC) require a ground grading as under to play at Step 4.

NATIONAL GROUND GRADING - CATEGORY D
(Appropriate to NLS Step 4)

Therefore I assume they have a ground sharing deal with Biggleswade Town, as FC & Town are shown as playing at the same location along the Langford Road according to the Southern League web site,although the wording is slightly different.

KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by KEITH » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:08 am

A weird state of affairs if you ask me. There are several small to medium size towns which have more than one football team playing at levels not too far apart, Biggleswade, Bedford, Aylesbury & Dunstable in our area alone. In an age where clubs are struggling to get punters through the turnstiles you'd think common sense would prevail & they would pool their resources to get a team which could compete at the highest possible level. Instead, bizzarely, they prefer to have 2 or 3 teams with the highest rated team barely getting crowds of 200. Baffling.
Pessimists are never disappointed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic