1969 & All That

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

1969 & All That

Post by anthony.brown » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:44 pm

Sitting at Offley bus stop talking football with a stranger, who had come down from The Wirrall to visit family graves in the village. I happened to mention how unhappy I am that LTFC are not playing a PSF at Top Field this year, and that my first game there was the 1969 PSF in which Malcolm Macdonald played one of his first games for The Hatters.
The stranger told me he played for Hitchin in that July 1969 game. From the clues he gave me I deduced that he was none other than Tony Harley (242 appearances, 14 goals). :-D

Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1969 & All That

Post by Kate Deller » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:14 pm

What a great story Anthony, thank you for sharing that. Great to chat on a bus, you never know who you might be talking to.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:07 pm

Thank you, Kate. With this forum fast approaching the fate of the legendary Norwegian Blue parrot, or it becoming just a notice board, I thought mention of the sight of a Canary from the past might have elicited a few memories from other fans. However, fifty years have passed, and many fans from that era have passed on, or they are of an age that does not use social media. That's life, I suppose. Now, had I headed the thread with Tony Harley's name.....................................................................

Kate Deller
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Kate Deller » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:01 pm

All different mediums now with Instagram, Twitter and Facebook things have definitely changed, ha specially since 1969. I remember our first mobile phone (see picture) couldn't imagine back then in the early 90's that phones would be where they are today or even that messaging would be so simple and quick.
There will always be a need for a forum whilst someone is using it. Please keep posting, your musings are always interesting.

All things football will be kicking off soon and hopefully our prowess on the pitch will liven the forum up once again.COYC
Attachments
Panasonic_EBJ-1114.jpg
Panasonic_EBJ-1114.jpg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

MickD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MickD » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:29 pm

Tony Harley was a much underrated player for us back in the late sixties as I recall. The fact that he was the son of Chairman Bill always raised the doubt in some fans minds that he was not selected on merit. A shame because he was an honest robust midfielder who passed the easy ball rather than the complicated and probably suffered from not being the flamboyant type.

I remember a game at Oxford City in 1960 something, which we won 4-0? Tony I am sure scored a couple and was MOM. Anyone else recall?

Are you out there Tony - if so please contact me for some recollections?

MickD
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MickD » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:42 pm

Just checked Fishponds stats

Tony played over 200 games.

It was 1970 at Oxford and he didn't score altho we did win 4-0

KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by KEITH » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:25 pm

He did score in the FA Cup away at Norwich Old Boys if I'm not mistaken, equalising just before half time. I remember the pitch had a rope around it & up turned beer crates to stand on. You couldn't stand behind the goal Tony scored in because of a 15ft high fence directly behind it. We went on to win 4-1 or possibly 5-1 in the end, Martin Gladwin getting at least 1 of them in the 2nd half.
Pessimists are never disappointed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic