The long long way home

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The long long way home

Post by KEITH » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:16 pm

Last night it took me an hour & quarter to do the 66 miles from home to Needham Market including a few miles at 40mph through road works at Maddingley & tootelling along behind lorries as I neared my destination. The journey home should only take an hour, or so I thought. I spoke to Guy at the game who had a 120 mile journey home as he lives in the Towcester area which adds another 50mins plus to his journey. I'm pretty sure I followed him out of the ground & as we got to the A14 the west bound carriageway was closed, with the diversion sending us east bound on the A14. It sent us off on the A140 &, after what seemed like an eternity of 50mph & 30mph speed limits we were sent back down the A143 (just 20 miles from Norwich at this point!) to Bury St Edmund's where we rejoined the A14. Having spent an extra 30mins plus going round Will's mothers we found that, a year on, the A14 was again closed just east of Cambridge & off we went down the A11. Luckily I remembered the route through Cambridge past Addenbrookes Hospital which took me to the M11 & ultimately the A428 to home. I got home at 11.45pm so god knows what time Guy got home. In total the A14 was shut in 3 sections west bound between Needham & the other side of Cambridge, some 40 miles. I assume the players coach had the same problems & they probably didn't leave Needham until 10.15pm at the earliest so what time did they get back.

Pessimists are never disappointed.

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: The long long way home

Post by DarrenW » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:21 pm

12.45 ish we got back Keith. Same problems as you and took just over 2 hours.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic