Penalty Stats

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Penalty Stats

Post by Steve »

Hutchinson as he has a 100% record!

Andy Denniss
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Andy Denniss »

Oh dear. Another miss today so 4 out of 13. Its getting to the stage when we try to convince the ref that it's not a penalty 😂

Andy Denniss
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Andy Denniss »

Oh dear another miss today. Perhaps we should stop asking for penalties and convince the ref that we will have a corner . The 😂

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

It is with heavy heart I update the stats.

Draper v Rushall - Scored
Dowie @ Wisbech - Scored (keeper fumbled it in, but no woodwork involved, so I believe that's Jay's goal)
Dowie @ Banbury - Saved
Bickerstaff @ Banbury - Saved
Eadie v Rushden - Scored
Cawley v Stratford - Saved (rebound scored, but still a penalty fail)
Cawley @ Maidstone - Saved
Walster v Bromsgrove - Missed
Walster @ St Ives - Missed
Marsh v Lowestoft - Saved
Hutchinson @ Leverstock Green - Scored
Dhillon @ Rushall - Missed
Dhillon @ Tamworth - Missed

So that's 4 scored out of 13 now. Too bad that we have failed to even make the keeper make a save from 4 of the last 6.

The only other time I can remember anything comparable must have been in the 1980s when we missed five or six in a row and Paul Bowgett took the next one which dribbled through the keeper's grasp and into the net.

We cant even complain that the refs have been tough on us - 13 penalties seems quite a high number to have been awarded in a season.

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve »

Come on then stato, where would we be in the league if we had converted all the missed pens?

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

I was saying earlier the penalty thing particularly winds me up as the ref spends the rest of the game trying to redress the balance.. today it was very notable - after he gave us a blatantly obvious penality and sent their guy off the locals seemed to convince him he owed them every marginal descision. Obviously if we put any of these penalties away it would be less of an issue as we looked pretty good today and I think we would have seen it out.

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Steve wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:36 pm
Come on then stato, where would we be in the league if we had converted all the missed pens?
We'll never know as every game would be different from the moment the penalty was scored :geek:

However, probably not much different overall. At Banbury we may have held on for 1-0 against 10 men, so perhaps 2 more points. Walster's miss against Bromsgrove was very early at 0-0, so who knows. His miss against St Ives, we won anyway. Marsh against Lowestoft was at 0-0 in the first half, so plenty of time for the game to have changed. At Rushall we were 1-4 down, so probably wouldn't have mattered. Today, at 1-0 against 10 men we may have gained some confidence and held on, who knows.

The most important one was probably the one at Maidstone which may have resulted in a profitable replay, or possibly not, we'll never know.

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

The Maidstone penalty was a kick in the teeth mainly as I think we deserved a draw and it took the wind back in Maidstone's sails. However for pure unadulterated pain Banbury takes some beating, as I'm sure I'll be recounting to a therapist in years to come

pudgy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pudgy »

The late Terry Craddock was the best penalty taker I ever saw at Topfield, right half in Laurie Scott’s magnificent team, in those black and gold days, an attacking midfielder in today’s parlance. Terry would usually place them very hard and low either side of the keeper, or occasionally high into the roof of the net. Ball was passed the keeper before he could move, never saw Terry miss one. Also took our edge-of-the-box free kicks, perfected the art of curling the ball into the top corner, often scoring. He put it down to self confidence and practice. Were he alive today, I think he would have been mildly amused at the pitiful attempts of our current team.

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

A pleasure to update this today!

When in doubt, hit it very hard and on target and if the keeper does get something on it it may still go in. Well done Layne :clap:

Draper v Rushall - Scored
Dowie @ Wisbech - Scored (keeper fumbled it in, but no woodwork involved, so I believe that's Jay's goal)

Dowie @ Banbury - Saved
Bickerstaff @ Banbury - Saved
Eadie v Rushden - Scored
Cawley v Stratford - Saved (rebound scored, but still a penalty fail)
Cawley @ Maidstone - Saved
Walster v Bromsgrove - Missed
Walster @ St Ives - Missed
Marsh v Lowestoft - Saved
Hutchinson @ Leverstock Green - Scored
Dhillon @ Rushall - Missed
Dhillon @ Tamworth - Missed
Eadie @ Bromsgrove - Scored

So that's 5 scored out of 14 now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic