Gutted

Use this board to discuss just about anything else but not related to Hitchin Town FC or Football in general.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gutted

Post by anthony.brown » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:31 am

Sixty years have passed, but it still hurts (not really!). I had to miss the school trip to the BBC in London to watch Crackerjack because I had chicken pox.
Another more recent disappointment was that in about 1998 the South Bank Centre called me up on the day I was supposed to see the great soukous star Sam Mangwana, to say the gig was cancelled so that the star could extend the French leg of his European tour (soukous was VERY big in Paris, etc, then). :(

KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Gutted

Post by KEITH » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:24 pm

Anthony yet another example of your knowledge of obscure entertainers. I've racked my brains in case it's another one of your plays on words but came up with nothing. What is soukous?

My "gutted" moment occurred in 1972 but I wasn't gutted until a few years later. My mate at school was a big Led Zeppelin fan & he had 2 tickets to see them at the Rainbow & wanted to know if I wanted to go. I hadn't quite got into Led Zep at that time so I said no 😩. I never did get to see them. The closest I got was seeing Roy Harper at the Rainbow several years later & Planty & Bonzo were special guests along with Ronnie Laine. Bonzo came on stage wearing a shirt, black jacket, black tights & a bowler hat! My school mate went to the gents half way through & standing next to him was Planty, or so he claimed 🤔.
Pessimists are never disappointed.

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:30 pm

Soukous is a genre of dance music from the Congo Basin.
It derived from Congolese rumba in the 1960's and gained popularity in the 1980's in France. Although often used by journalists as a synonym for Congolese rumba, both the music and dance associated with Soukous differ from more traditional rumba, especially in its higher tempo, longer dance sequences. Popular performers of the genre include African Fiesta, Papa Wemba and Pépé Kallé. :acclaim: :-D

(My gratitude to Wikipedia :-D )
If music be the football of life, play on (extra time and pens if necessary)

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:42 pm

I remember going to a Papa Wemba gig in the 90s at the Royal Festival Hall. The first half of his performance was inspirational. I left at the interval as he had raised his audience to such heights that I was worried he might fill the second half with something less good. I'm sure he did not, but I was taking no chances and retreated to the bar................................

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:42 am

KEITH wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:24 pm

My "gutted" moment occurred in 1972 but I wasn't gutted until a few years later. My mate at school was a big Led Zeppelin fan & he had 2 tickets to see them at the Rainbow & wanted to know if I wanted to go. I hadn't quite got into Led Zep at that time so I said no 😩. I never did get to see them. The closest I got was seeing Roy Harper at the Rainbow several years later & Planty & Bonzo were special guests along with Ronnie Laine. Bonzo came on stage wearing a shirt, black jacket, black tights & a bowler hat! My school mate went to the gents half way through & standing next to him was Planty, or so he claimed 🤔.
I would have loved to have seen Roy Harper in his heyday.. 'Stormcock' is one of my desert island discs

KEITH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by KEITH » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:26 pm

The 1st half of his set was acoustic. He sat on a bar stool, as the folky acts did at that time, with his guitar on his knee & a spliff on the go which, after a few puffs, he lobbed into the audience to pass around, happy days. The 2nd half was his electric stuff with Ronnie Laine on bass & Planty & Bonzo wandering on stage from time to time joining in with Roy's banter. Stuart if you haven't already got it buy his album Flashes from the Archives of Oblivion. It's the closest you'll get to being at one of his live performances without actually being there. It takes me back to that night at the Rainbow every time I play it. I think it was recorded from one of the nights at the Rainbow.
Pessimists are never disappointed.

Stuart
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Stuart » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:55 pm

Stuart if you haven't already got it buy his album Flashes from the Archives of Oblivion. It's the closest you'll get to being at one of his live performances without actually being there.
[/quote]

thanks Keith, I'm on it 👍
If music be the football of life, play on (extra time and pens if necessary)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic