Football,Dog Racing,Speedway and Bangor racing.

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Football,Dog Racing,Speedway and Bangor racing.

Post by DarrenW »

Coming from a group chat on facebook about how many grounds used to host other events besides football alone.

Was there ever any local grounds (and by that I mean within 50 miles) that hosted dog racing Speedway or Bangor racing that anyone can remember?

Only possible I can think of is Rye House but suspect Harlow did.

It seem's to be a thing that Scottish clubs often accommodated this up until more recently.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Football,Dog Racing,Speedway and Bangor racing.

Post by anthony.brown »

I've always hated grounds with athletic and speedway tracks around them; without crowds on the touchlines the atmosphere is often dead.
Not a local ground, but one I visited as a travelling Hatters' fan, was The Shay, Halifax, which also hosted speedway. On 4th April 1970 we went up on the 'football special' train, costing us 25 shillings a head return, and drew 0-0 in one of the most boring games I've ever watched. This despite having strikers Malcolm MacDonald and Viv Busby in our team. Some Halifax fans told us that the football pitch corners had to be removed whenever a speedway meeting was held; after the speedway the corners were replaced, but we were not told how this was done. Turf on boards, perhaps?

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

Enfield Town and Chelmsford spring to mind.

Brian
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Brian »

The original Bedford Town FC ground in Queens Park was also home to greyhound racing between the mid 1970's until the ground closed in 1982, after landlords Charles Wells used the site for their brewery depot. See link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queens_Pa ... _(Bedford)

The original Biggleswade Town FC ground in Fairfield doubled as the towns cricket pitch. There was only a grandstand and covered standing area on one side with players changing in the cricket pravilion.
I remember Nottingham Forest bringing their first team squad to Fairfield for a friendly when I was a kid. According to history records it was 1975 with the likes of John McGovern, John O'Hare, Barry Butlin, Viv Anderson and Tony Woodcock featuring for Forest.

Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil »

My Mum used to live right next to the Shay and next door to Arthur Ellis the referee.

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

Neil wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:13 pm
Arthur Ellis the referee.
Star of It's a Knockout!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic