Hi

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

Katiehitchin

Hi

Post by Katiehitchin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:44 pm

Hi I’d just like to introduce myself I’m Katie I’m trans and coming to the game on the 29th Feb .
I’ve never been to a game dressed so am a bit nervous but the club have been amazing doing the football v Homophobia game.

Here’s a bit about me if that’s ok

Katie’s football memories

I had a season ticket a few years ago at Stevenage when they were on the verge of the championship but that was before Katie and I wouldn’t have gone dressed as her anyway .

I wanted to share some of my earliest football memories , I remember being about 5 and being torn between who to support Leeds or Leeds United , I remember quite clearly opening a packet of Topps football stickers ( in those days you got 6 stickers I think and two pieces of bubble gum for 5p.

Leeds were the team of the day , I didn’t know then aged about 5 that they were known as dirty Leeds .
This coincided with me listening to the radio and hearing the song Billy don’t be a hero and I attached my love for billy Bremner and that song together .

One of my best memories is getting the Leeds kit on Christmas Day with the little pocket on the left hand side with the initials LUFC on , I don’t think that I took that kit off for weeks afterwards wearing it every day , I even wrote to a certain TV programme asking to meet my Leeds hero Billy , luckily for me I never got chosen .

One particular game I remember was Leeds v West Ham , my best friend then was a boy called Jamie , he was a West Ham fan .
I couldn’t believe it when West Ham won 3-1 , I was so sure that I’d have the bragging rights when I saw him at school the next day , I think that we the first time that I experienced football heartbreak.

It’s a bit of a boast but when I was 6 or 7 I was playing football with boys who were probably 2 or 3 years older than I was, my brother played but he wasn’t as football daft as me , he was more into his swimming and the TA .

I joined the cubs and was soon in the football team , I remember our kit was green shirts and white shorts and socks , I must have been quite good because I was captain .
The only memory that I have from playing for the cubs is missing a penalty, I remember clearing that I was never going to miss , then I stood up and took what was probably one of the worst penalties ever taken , the ball ended up nearer the corner flag than the goal and I left completely and utterly shocked , I was probably 7 or 8 and I just started crying , the ball went back up our end and I couldn’t see for the tears running down my face , one of the opposing team said something as I lined up to mark him, I’ve no idea what it was because I was in such a state , I just wanted to leave the pitch as soon as possible , I think it obviously affected me because this happened over 40 years ago and the memory is still so clear .
I don’t think I ever took a penalty in a match again .
Not long after we moved to the next village .
We had some good players in the school team that I played for but we only had 2 games against the same opposition we drew one game 1-1 and lost the other 2-0 , one memory I have of that is our kit was all ripped - this would have been about 1978- 79 time and the kit looked like something that was left over from the Second World War - I think that we got a new one for the second game , next time I’ll tell you about seeing Jimmy greaves sent off and meeting Ray Stewart

I’ve also got a podcast as well with some of my memories on .

Katiehitchin

Re: Hi

Post by Katiehitchin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:57 pm

I was going to carry on where I was before but I had a sudden urge to write away days , I’m sure that we all know people who just don’t get it .
Getting on a coach at 7 or 8 on a Saturday morning or on a Tuesday at midday , having to take time of work , arriving home in the middle of the night or later , having a few hours sleep then up for work .
Of course if you win it makes it all worth it , there’s nothing like a trip home on the coach after an away win .
I remember an Littlewoods cup quater final at Hillsborough, I think it was in 1987 - this was before the terrible tragedy.

I think that we were in the seats above the leppings Lane end , there were thousands of gooners and we won 1-0 , thanks to a Nigel Winterburn goal , he didn’t score many but the ones he did get were usually spectacular.

After the game we found ourselves in a pub In Sheffield obviously celebrating , I was with friends in a car.

We left at midnight , at the time I was at the post office and I was on earlies , five o’clock start -so you can imagine that I didn’t get a lot of sleep that night .

The season we won the league at anfield in 89 I think I only missed 4 games home away one I think was Grimsby away in the league cup I think we won 3-1 and the other was that game at Anfield -I think
We took 17,000 up there most of who couldn’t get in -gutted
I watched it from the post office social club and it really was a bit like the film
fever pitch., I didn’t do any work that night, I knew guys who’d be following arsenal since before the 71 double .

I also watched my local team Chelmsford city play home away , we are probably talking 1987 onwards .

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:01 pm

Hi Katie & welcome to the forum. Thanks for the memories. Your penalty taking sounds like Hitchin's penalty taking this season - there is another thread on here with all the grim stats about that!
I divide my Saturdays between Dulwich Hamlet (S/T holder), Hitchin and other ground-hopping so I'll be at Champion Hill that day.
However I hope you have a good time at Top Field. Good luck with the sweatshirts. The club is also selling Rainbow Canary pin badges this Saturday. (Dulwich's rainbow scarf ended up being worn by Megan Rapinoe this week!)

Katiehitchin

Post by Katiehitchin » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:35 am

My podcast you might have to download the app to listen https://www.podbean.com/eu/pb-fhgn2-d1e960

Katiehitchin

Post by Katiehitchin » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 pm

I first started going to Chelmsford City in the 1970s with my Dad .
For those who know new writtle street ( sadly no longer there ) you had the Wolsey end and the score board end and along one side of the pitch was the barn stand .
There was a player called Frank Peterson who I believe had spent some time in prison , he was a powerful striker .
City got good crowds and really should have got into the football league about 1970 because I think they might have won the football league but because of some money irregularities ( some things don’t change) they didn’t go up and Hereford United did instead .
I remember a game from about 1978 ; I would have been about 10 and city were playing against Barnet and in the Barnet team was a certain player of the name Jimmy Greaves .
And although Greaves was nearing the twilight years of his career he was still a huge attraction and the attendance swelled that afternoon probably to about 1500 + and remember I was only 10 , I remember him getting dogs abuse from the home crowd lol( he had been a city player a year or so before ).
Anyway a penalty was given against Barnet and Greaves was incensed , I can’t remember exactly what happened I’ll have to find the article on line .
This all resulted in me seeing Jimmy Greaves sent off - but he wouldn’t go , he simply refused to go and I can still see clearly a policeman with a pointed hat coming onto the pitch trying to get him to go but by now the scene was just of chaos and I think the referee made the right decision considering the situation and abandoned the game , I don’t think that there was particularly long to go but that is my memory of seeing Jimmy Greaves sent off
Here’s the article in Greaves own words

It was a Southern League Floodlit Cup match at Chelmsford, when our striker Wilf Woodend ended up in goal and managed to save a penalty. The ref ordered a re-take, claiming Wilf had moved too soon, at which point our player-manager Billy Meadows lost the plot and all hell broke loose.
The ref decided to send me off, for no apparent reason, and I refused to walk – so the man in black abandoned the match.

ClubComms

Post by ClubComms » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:39 pm

Great stories Katie, made good reading :thumbsup:
If you don't challenge the status quo, you don't change for tomorrow.......

russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:48 pm

Hi Katie,

Great to read your stories.. I started being taken to Arsenal in 1988 home and away.. I did some ridiculous coach journeys too, away to Middlesborough in midweek where George Graham played a reserve team due to a cup game stands out as I had to get up an hour or two after getting home to do my paper round. I think that mindset means I don't think anything of going away to watch the mighty Canaries nowadays (although there are a lot of fans a lot more committed than me!)

Its great that you are coming to a game and I'm sure you'll find the Hitchin regulars really welcoming.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic