RIP Jimmy Conway

Use this board to discuss football in general, not Hitchin Town FC related.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

ClubComms

RIP Jimmy Conway

Post by ClubComms »

Who?

My greatest Fulham hero after Johnny Haynes and George Cohen. Made his debut for Fulham the same night I made my debut as a Fulham fan.....and scored a hat trick in a 5-0 win against Wolves.

Later went on to play for Manchester City, Republic of Ireland before moving to the States. Jimmy spent the last few years of his life battling Alzheimer's.

We all have our football memories....and one of mine is Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy Conway on the wing, on the wing.

RIP Jimmy.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best......but always plan for the worst

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: RIP Jimmy Conway

Post by anthony.brown »

Sad ending for such a talented and nippy winger. RIP Jimmy.

Fulham v Luton games in the late sixties, early seventies were always entertaining. Fulham would have Jimmy on the right wing and Les Barrett on the left supplying Steve Earle, Barry Lloyd, Viv Busby, John Mitchell and others with quality crosses. Jimmy rarely shone against the Hatters, but in his final Hatters/Cottagers game he scored twice as the Hatters lost 0-2, both from Viv Busby crosses. Luton's left backs in that six year period included Jack Bannister, Don Shanks and Bobby Thompson.
My first visit to Craven Cottage on 30th March 1970 saw Fulham thrash Brighton 4-1, on the day my grandmother died. In the days before mobile phones (I also had no land line at the time) I did not learn of her death until I returned home (she had died at lunch-time). Watching Luton win away at Craven Cottage 1-0 with a Malcolm McDonald goal a week later to complete a season's double over them was a pleasant shock.

ClubComms

Post by ClubComms »

anthony.brown wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:00 pm
Watching Luton win away at Craven Cottage 1-0 with a Malcolm McDonald goal a week later to complete a season's double over them was a pleasant shock.
I was at the 1-0 game with the Malcolm Macdonald goal early on. My sketchy memory seems to recall that the result ended our promotion hopes. I remember Luton playing in red shirts.....and Jack Bannister clearing one off the line that almost went in the Thames!!
Plan for the worst, hope for the best......but always plan for the worst

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Always easier to kick the ball into the Thames before the Eric Miller stand blocked the view................... :-D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic