Hitchin Town FC vs Coronavirus

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

Greenfinch
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hitchin Town FC vs Coronavirus

Post by Greenfinch » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:36 am

Just read Roy's report on the Coronavirus and the financial impact it is having on our club, and was asking for fans ideas to help.Well, to the loyal fans of Hitchin (and to the ones that can afford to do so)may I suggest that we pay 50% of the entrance fee for the remaining home games of the season, this can be a one off payment or a cut off date of April 30th 2020. This will be a donation, no refund even if the games resume over a period of time. To thankyou for this contribution, when the donation is paid in full Roy will issue you with a free pass for a home league game of your choice next season.We need to save our special club so I hope many of you will help, if you like this proposal.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hitchin Town v Coronavirus

Post by anthony.brown » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:49 pm

For season ticket holders (those who can) , would payment of a deposit (or the full amount) towards next season's matches, if they happen, help? Even this would be a drop in the ocean considering the current crisis. Supporters may be so uncertain of the immediate future that even crowdfunding could be difficult, as savings dry up, and earnings crash. Fingers crossed that we still have any football to watch in the foreseeable future. I am sure those less pessimistic than I am, will find a way to keep our great Club going.

Steve
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Steve » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:18 pm

As HTFC is a business surely it qualifies under the just released Government help for Businesses with employee’s ?

ClubComms

Post by ClubComms » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Pete. We are in the process of considering some desperately needed income initiatives to go online. Roy doesn't issue free passes.....far too labour intensive, all done online now, this is 2020 mate! But seriously, once we know for sure that the season has ended, we will be promoting big time. What would be better is that as many people as possible do something online, as it is this that we really need to make viable in the future.

To be honest, if you think about it, to do something online is in the current situation the safest way. Honestly, how would anyone pay? Can't pay cash, can't pay cheque, not at all sensible for Roy to go and queue in a bank to pay these in. Paying online means that any receipts go straight into the Club's Bank Account and everyone who needs to ensure social distancing and self-isolating can still ensure the Club benefits.

All about simplicity. But again thanks for the sentiment and please watch this space for announcements. I think you'll see that what you propose is basically covered. :thumbsup:
If you don't challenge the status quo, you don't change for tomorrow.......

ClubComms

Post by ClubComms » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:29 pm

ClubComms wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:27 pm
anthony.brown wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:49 pm
For season ticket holders (those who can) , would payment of a deposit (or the full amount) towards next season's matches, if they happen, help? Even this would be a drop in the ocean considering the current crisis. Supporters may be so uncertain of the immediate future that even crowdfunding could be difficult, as savings dry up, and earnings crash. Fingers crossed that we still have any football to watch in the foreseeable future. I am sure those less pessimistic than I am, will find a way to keep our great Club going.
Hi Anthony - please see my posting above. Thanks :thumbsup:
If you don't challenge the status quo, you don't change for tomorrow.......

Neil
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:39 am

Fan ownership scheme, a la Lewes. The only way ahead for clubs like Hitchin Town. This virus will change the face of football in this country. Away fan travel on a large scale will possibly be suspended or eradicated, capacities could be restricted to allow better social distancing, pub/club behaviour will change. If not forever, then certainly short to medium term. The sooner wages come down at step 3/4 and beyond, the better. It would be interesting to see the wage-to-income ratios of non-league clubs. Some good could come out of this virus, although it might not feel like it at the moment. But seriously, the sooner clubs start to grasp the community-owned concept, the better - how else can you call a club a "community football club" if the community doesn't have a tangible stake in it??

CanaryHatter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hitchin Town FC vs Coronavirus

Post by CanaryHatter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:38 pm

I've moved this thread to "global" status, so it'll appear at the top of each of the forum sections. The thread is a great idea by Greenfinch, for us to all share ideas which could help the Club in its time of need. Any ideas/suggestions are very much welcome - Roy always says to me that 'no idea is a daft idea' - so please do get involved and comment below.

From nosing around on social medias, other Club initiatives have included early release of 2020/21 season tickets and multiple match discounts, as suggested above. Merchandise is also being pushed, as are commercial options. Could we offer some of our commercial options for future purchase online - i.e. match sponsorships for 2020/21 - match one, match two, match three etc?

The tricky scenario here is that everyone's lives are being impacted by this pandemic and so money is tight for all, so the conundrum is how do we encourage individuals to share their much-needed pennies. To me, it seems that lots of little donations is the way forward here. Would people be interested in donating towards a Crowdfunding site? Would knowing that those funds will be spent on help? Would you donate more on the crowdfunding to gain something back. i.e. Donate £10 and we'll send you a pin badge, donate £25 and we'll send you a t-shirt etc.?

Apologies for the ramble, just thinking out-loud.

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hitchin Town FC vs Coronavirus

Post by DarrenW » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:34 pm

It's a tough one.

It wont be popular with the committee but I largely agree with Neil's thinking. I think the time might be coming where the club has to attract some investment from outside.

Any idea's I have for fundraising outside Crowdfunding all have a social aspect to it which obviously is not a wise move.

CanaryHatter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CanaryHatter » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:42 pm

Neil wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:39 am
Fan ownership scheme, a la Lewes. The only way ahead for clubs like Hitchin Town. This virus will change the face of football in this country. Away fan travel on a large scale will possibly be suspended or eradicated, capacities could be restricted to allow better social distancing, pub/club behaviour will change. If not forever, then certainly short to medium term. The sooner wages come down at step 3/4 and beyond, the better. It would be interesting to see the wage-to-income ratios of non-league clubs. Some good could come out of this virus, although it might not feel like it at the moment. But seriously, the sooner clubs start to grasp the community-owned concept, the better - how else can you call a club a "community football club" if the community doesn't have a tangible stake in it??
How do such models work Neil? Do supporters pay xx amount to be shareholders and that's it, do have they have actual share is it just a membership scheme? Always been intrigued by the term "fan-owned", as surely there is still one, or a group, of actual Club owners, expect in Germany of course.

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:18 pm

CanaryHatter wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:42 pm
Neil wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:39 am
How do such models work Neil? Do supporters pay xx amount to be shareholders and that's it, do have they have actual share is it just a membership scheme? Always been intrigued by the term "fan-owned", as surely there is still one, or a group, of actual Club owners, expect in Germany of course.
I know the system they had at Merthyr. They did it in tiers.

The top tier has brickwork with the person's name on it but there was lesser tiers for those less well off. Everyone get's a vote as to who is on the board.

Basically it works if you have a considerable fanbase willing to invest in the future of the club.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic