Lockdown Reading

Use this board to discuss just about anything else but not related to Hitchin Town FC or Football in general.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubAdmin

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Lockdown Reading

Post by anthony.brown »

Just 63 pages into Reginald Hine's 'The History of Hitchin', and I've already seen recorded the following names for Hitchin: Hiche, Hicche, Hitchche, Hycchyn, Hecchen, Hichyn, Hicchyn.
The book was written many years before our visit to Truro in September 2014, so perhaps we can forgive Truro for the 'Hitchen' error on their souvenir scarf! :happy2:

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

22nd May 1840

Thomas Carlyle gave a lecture in his series 'Hero Worship'. On Friday 22nd May 1840 his subject was 'The Hero as King'. A small snippet:

'You have put the too Unable Man at the head of affairs! The too ignoble, unvaliant,fatuous man. You have forgotten that there is any rule, or natural necessity whatever, of putting the Able Man there'.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Can't think why, but I've just finished reading The Prince by 'Old Nic' Machiavelli. First published in the sixteenth century, it describes the art of political control and leadership; much of it echoes modern day manipulation by governments worldwide.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

I've finally got round to buying the Farther Corner by Harry Pearson, last year's follow up to the classic 1990s Far Corner about north east football. I'm only a few pages in and I've already laughed aloud twice which is quite a feat in the current climate.
russell
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by russell »

Good to see Hitchin get a mention in the above book .. (attached).. strangely thats thr second use of the word 'gubbed' I've seen today having never heard the word before
Attachments
20210125_205941.jpg
ClubAdmin

Post by ClubAdmin »

Fact you might not know: Brian Smith, who Roy mentioned in last week's bulletin as having recently passed away, scored the Hitchin goal in the aforementioned game.....
"We should laugh more". Kate Deller, April 2022.
anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

Reading on-line Thomas Hughes's 'Memoir of a brother', an intimate portrait of George Edward Hughes of Offley Place, who was a member of the Hitchin Football Club and the Hitchin Cricket Club until his early death at the age of just 50 in 1872.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic