MATCHDAY PROGRAMMES

Use this board to discuss all matters Hitchin Town FC.

Moderators: Nick Sopowski, ClubComms

MickD
Gold Member
Gold Member

MATCHDAY PROGRAMMES

Post by MickD »

The debate continues as to whether there is still a place for printed matchday programmes in this hi tech world? Indeed, whilst this virus persists we may find that the selling of a paper copy in itself constitutes an unwarranted risk? Crazy stuff.

But seriously, were we to offer the programme online, supplementing the traditional copy sold on matchdays, what sort of take-up might there be? If presently you buy a paper copy how likely are you to forgo that in lieu of an online read via your mobile phone? If you don't presently buy a programme as a matter of course, would you be tempted if you could do it via a phone APP? Would the cover charge influence your decision? Would any of our overseas followers be likely to support such a venture?

As regards next season's edition, whenever or if ever the season might start, I am hoping to have a few new contributors to supplement the ongoing eccentricities. A regular message from the Kentucky Kid(Dave Spicer) is anticipated as well as thoughts from Boo. Both names from the past who have recently been in contact and still follow our fortunes at Top Field.

Even if you are apathetic please let me know.

Peter
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: MATCHDAY PROGRAMMES

Post by Peter »

I would support an on-line programme if the price was reasonable. How about selling a season ticket for the whole seasons programmes? The question of course is "what is reasonable"?

RST
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by RST »

I always buy a programme, although last season decided not to buy them at away matches as I already had a backlog of programmes from 2018/19 to read (I tend to put the programme down when i get home and then not read it straightaway). Pleased to report that since last season was curtailed I have read the programmes up to the Stratford 2019/20 game, so am quietly confident I will have read them all before next season eventually starts. I have particularly enjoyed reading Pipeman's 2019/20 articles which, so far, generally have no relation to football whatsoever!

Personally I would rather have a paper copy of a programme (similar to reading a book in print rather than on a screen), but if virus conditions make this difficult then would accept an on-line version might have to happen. Perhaps this could be trialled for next season as there is a possibility that it may be a shortened season and then things could be reviewed before making a decision for the 2021/22 season when hopefully "normal" life may have returned.

anthony.brown
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by anthony.brown »

The big advantage of having an online programme is that it is easily searchable long after the match is over. I still like to buy a programme at the match, so while supporters get used to the new technology, perhaps both formats can be provided?
If only the internet had been there in the thirties when Mr Docking's equally erudite forerunner, programme editor 'Sparbed' was providing supporters with entertaining programme notes. If they had been online, we would be able to read them without spending a fortune on the old programmes! Mr Docking is following a fine tradition at Top Field, and long may he continue!

DarrenW
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by DarrenW »

Im not one for programs having once bought one at everygame.

While im all for moving with the times I feel there are still many out there who choose not to use the internet and prefer traditional paper copies.

I would think a good compromise would be a monthly magazine (paper copy) rather than progames for each game so as to not exclude anyone that likes a read.

ClubComms

Post by ClubComms »

In the current environment:

- I support the idea of having a downloadable copy of a programme available for sale.
- I do not believe that programmes should be given out to dressing rooms, hospitality and any other current "giveaways" at match days. Team sheets would suffice.
- I also support the idea of having a small quantity (50 absolute max) of paper copies printed BUT only sold either:

1) In advance of the game online- and wherever possible in conjunction with purchase of match day tickets, for collection at a given point at the game. Season ticket holders could confirm their attendance at the game to be able to buy a programme. Provisions could be made for any other: "special cases". Or:

2) Any surplus stock (if there is any) sold online after the game, and posted out to the buyer, until stocks run out.

I would not have any programmes on sale on match day at all. Two reasons: a) Social distancing and 2) To minimise or indeed better, eliminate cash sales at games. It's the way the world is going and effectively the "new normal".

So - do both, and make sure the Club recoups any outlay for production in whatever format.
If you don't challenge the status quo, you don't change for tomorrow.......

Cat Daisy
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Cat Daisy »

First and foremost the programme is a good read, and hats off to Mick and the other contributors. I know it is a time consuming task (having had to do one 4 page supplement when he was on holiday).

- I am happy to pre-order a paper programme with a match ticket to collect on the day. And recognise that this makes social distancing and a cashless matchday more practical. Are the tea bar and the clubhouse also going cashless? And queue-less?
- I probably wouldn't pay for an online programme. Are there other non-league clubs that currently charge for online ones? Football League clubs may be able to do this but a Step 7 club?
- Are midweek games still going to be on Mondays - and therefore attract a higher than average number of groundhoppers? The purists won't even go if there isn't a hard copy programme (as it doesn't "complete" the experience - see the debates on the FB Non-League group!). I don't agree with this hardline view but it is a view.
- Agreed, don't waste them on the dressing rooms, etc but what's the minimum sensible order number? Is 50 financially viable given potential cuts to programme sponsorship?

Lots of questions that need to be worked through.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic