I have reproduced below the email which the league sent out to all member clubs on Friday afternoon:

Dear Secretaries,

Further to discussions this afternoon, a decision has been taken that ALL BETVICTOR SOUTHERN LEAGUE matches will be POSTPONED between Saturday 14th and Saturday 21st March inclusive. Therefore, there will be no matches taking place tomorrow (Saturday), next midweek or Saturday 21st March. A review of the situation will take place next Friday, 20th March and you will be notified of the decision as soon as I am able to do so regarding the continuation or otherwise of the competition from Monday 23rd March.

Consequently the League Office will now be closed on both Saturdays, but currently remaining open Monday to Friday. In respect to the end of season date, that currently remains as Saturday 25th April but I shall update you should there be any changes to that.

Jason Mills, League Secretary


  • Lewis Barker received a four game ban for his red card against Peterborough Sports.

The academy team won 5-4 at Dartford this week. Next Wednesday they are away to Bishops Stortford.

Hitchin Town Firsts were at home to Garston Ladies Firsts. In the first half it was captain Chaffey who rose in the air and headed home to give Hitchin the lead. Hitchin spent the entire game on the front foot but were unable to double if not treble their tally for the afternoon. Garston were quick to counter and got the equaliser in the 70th minute so the points were shared.

Hitchin Town Reserves were at home to Bedwell Ladies FC. The Reserves came back from 3-1 down to draw 3-3. A second half double from Beary and a first goal of the season for Davies ensured the points were shared. Coming up:

Sunday 15 March 2020 – 14:00 kick off

Division One of the Beds & Herts Women’s League
Hitchin Town Ladies FC Firsts v Houghton Athletic Ladies
Ickleford Recreation Ground, Ickleford.

Division Three of the Beds & Herts Women’s League
Flitwick Eagles Ladies FC v Hitchin Town Ladies Reserves
Flitwick Eagles, Flitwick, Bedfordshire, MK45 1BA.

Only two of our EJA teams were in action last weekend and both were involved in thrilling encounters.

The U18s drew 3-3 away at league leaders St. Albans City’s to end their 100% league record whilst the U14s went down 7-3 to Stotfold.

Just two teams are in action again this week and both are at home. The U14s play Bury Town at North Herts College, Hitchin, 11am kickoff whilst the U15s host Stotfold at The Arena, Baldock in a 10:30am kickoff.

At a meeting on 30 June 1928 Captain Asprey submitted plans of a proposed stand for Top Field and it was agreed that he obtain prices for both a metal and wooden construction. At the next meeting on 10 July 1928 it was reported that the Finance Committee had agreed the best way to raise the money for the stand was by a bank overdraft which would be at 1% above the prevailing bank rate with guarantors for the loan to be found. It was also agreed that as far as kit was concerned ”the secretary obtain prices of jerseys and knickers from town trades people’.’



We returned from Coalville with a well earned and deserved three points. We set up to play with the same formation and tactics we used at Bromsgrove and I felt we conceded the first goal against the run of play. I was really pleased with the response of the players and they stuck to the task and we got the equaliser before half time.

We took the lead from a set piece that we had worked on in training which is always very satisfying. I was relaxed and felt comfortable for the remainder of the game. It was also very pleasing to hear the opposition manager say that the best team had won.


We prepared ourselves for a big onslaught from Peterborough Sports after our very impressive 4-0 away win in January. This did happen and unfortunately we conceded an early penalty that was expertly converted to give Peterborough the lead. But as on Saturday I was pleased with the reaction of the players to this setback. I thought the first half was very even and the second half continued in the same vein.

There was then a pivotal moment when in my opinion Lewis Barker was wrongly dismissed for an excellent tackle. However the game seems to have changed and it would now appear you will be penalised whether you win the ball or not if you slide in to a tackle. I felt very sorry for LB because if the incident had taken place away from the dug out area where there was a very lively reaction from their bench I feel he may only have received a yellow card.

Again we responded well to another setback and pushed Peterborough all the way which resulted in us conceding a very late goal as we pushed for the equaliser. This was the icing on the cake for Peterborough and saw them go top of the table.