• Saturday 25th September Away to AFC Rushden & Diamonds League Kick-off 3pm. There is no coach to this game.
  • Tuesday 28th September Away to Tamworth League Kick-off 7.45pm. Coach leaves at 4pm.

I asked Michael Jones from our coaching team to give his appraisal of our FA Cup exit against Cheshunt:

In the first half we tried to do the right things but we lacked confidence in the final third. I thought we were lethargic and lackluster but I was convinced we would improve in the second half. We said to the players at half time that we needed to improve and to expect Cheshunt to raise their game.

Unfortunately we did not turn up for the second half. Cheshunt appeared to want the ball more than us and were winning the 50/50 challenges and second balls. The second goal highlighted our deficiencies. I think our players can be very good but you will get nothing if you do not work hard. You need to give 100% and run hard even if you are not playing well and you need to play as a team but we failed in all theses aspects. The coaching staff were as angry and disappointed as the supporters at our poor showing particularly after playing so well against Barwell on Monday.

The preparation for the game had been thorough and we had watched Cheshunt twice and were fully aware of their strengths and weaknesses and what formation they would play. I still cannot understand the difference between the performances on Monday and Saturday and why we defended so poorly for the Cheshunt goals.

We now film all our home games and at training on Monday we spent a long time analysing the game. I concluded the second half was the worst 45 minutes since I joined the coaching staff and I am determined we will not accept it happening again.



As Michael has said we examined the video of the Cheshunt game at training on Monday and we pointed out the areas where we need to improve. The players were encouraged to give their views and they were very remorseful and apologetic for their performance and realised they had let the supporters down. They are determined to put things right but talk is cheap and I want to see evidence on the pitch at Rushden on Saturday.


We have a ghost to lay to rest at Rushden after last year’s 7-1 humiliation. I will certainly be looking for a reaction to the Cheshunt game but to be fair to the players I will not judge them on just the second half on Saturday. We had won two of the previous three games and played really well in the other game. We have to be positive and respond on Saturday.

We then go to Tamworth on Tuesday. They will be a formidable challenge and they are among the favorites to win the league having assembled a very good squad. I hope we will be able to build on a good performance at Rushden to take in to the Tamworth game and I hope we can get a positive result.


I was bitterly disappointed that Callum Stead left to join South Shields this week. I have been trying to get Callum to sign a contract all season but he continually refused to do so and I had to respect his decision. It meant we were vulnerable to approaches from other clubs and it was inevitable we would lose out. We had 12 approaches from other clubs all offering better financial packages than we could. He also wanted full time training which we could not offer but which South Shields could. I wish Callum all the best and hope he can make it at a higher level and he would always be welcomed back at Top Field

Dan Webb has returned to training and will be in the squad for Rushden while Lewis Barker played 90 minutes for Shefford on Tuesday and will play for them again on Friday.


On Wednesday 22nd September we had two Home league games.

One game would be played at Top Field and the other at The Arena. I would like to thank Steve Barker and his ground staff for preparing the pitch for this match and making sure yet again it was in excellent condition.

In the National Under 19s Youth Alliance league we played against top of the table Newport Pagnell, both teams had won their first two matches.

The game started off with us trying to play our usual passing game and Newport trying to press us at every opportunity. Not very much happened in the opening encounters but after 14 minutes a corner to Newport got headed in at the back post to give them an early lead. We continued to stick to our passing game and started to make Newport work really hard to maintain their lead, creating many good opportunities but similar to recent weeks we had failed to take these. We went in at half time 1-0 down but were extremely unlucky to be losing.

Second half we knew Newport would be tiring due to their high pressing tactic and at the start of the second half Newport played us the biggest compliment of all by changing their shape to a very defensive 1-5-4-1 formation. This would mean we would have to move the ball even quicker to break them down, we continued to stick to our principles and after creating a few more chances that would have been converted into goals apart from some very good saves from the Newport keeper. On the 74th minute we got a deserved equaliser which came from a half volley from Stan Georgiou into the top corner. Newport now had to come higher up the pitch to try and steal the win but in the 87 minute our pressure took its toll on their tired defence and this allowed Callum Kane to run in behind to score the winner.
We are now top of the table having won our first 3 games of the season.

Man of the match – Callum Kane
Goals – Stan Georgiou 74m, Callum Kane 87m

Our other game on Wednesday saw us play our first league game in the SCL development league east division. We entertained Whitstable FC at the Arena. We started off well against a physical Whitstable side before conceding an early goal against the run of play. The boys stuck with the game plan and we went into half time 2-1 up thanks to goals from Jordan Gear and Harrison Sollis. The lads kept control of the game throughout the second half and a penalty from Harrison Sollis made it 3-1. A late goal for he visitors made it an interesting last 5 minutes but the lads did well to hold on and get a well earned 3 points.

Man of the match – Harrison Sollis
Goals – Harrison Sollis x2, Jordan Gear


Hitchin Town Women’s FC XI were hosting Herts Vipers Development at Ickleford and here is what manager Richard had to say:

Playing a 4-4-2 formation today against Herts Vipers.
Our first home game of the season and the team spirit was high. Unfortunately 2 minutes into the game Shackell made a crunching tackle while pressing and injured her knee so had to be substituted early. Free kick by Day on target but took a deflection into the Vipers goalkeepers arms. On 16 minutes Vipers played through the middle of our defence and slotted the ball into the goal. Half time 0-1.
We started the second half well with shots going just wide of the goal. But an attack down the wing by the Vipers ended with them scoring another goal. 0-2

Hitchin replied well with great pressure on the Vipers defence by Elliott to win the ball back and pass the Higgs to score her first goal for Hitchin.1-2. But then unfortunately Vipers attacked and scored another goal. 1-3. The game then got interrupted by a dog on the pitch and no one could find the owner, but gave everyone a breather for a moment. Amies went on one of her runs and slotted the ball to Higgs who attacked the vipers goal to score again. 2-3. Vipers then had a player show great pace down the wing to cut inside and score another goal. 2-4.

Hitchin’s fighting spirit came back and Day attacked down the left for Hitchin, spotting the Vipers goalie off her line she looped the ball over the goalie to score.

3-4. Another attack by the Vipers brought another goal and the score now 3-5.

Vipers goalkeeper took a goal kick but kicked the ball out straight to Day who took one touch and smashed the ball over the goalkeeper from probably 30 yards. Great goal. 4-5. Hitchin carried on with the high press and won the ball back again for it to be passed out wide to Dean who smashed it into the net…5-5. At this stage of the game Hitchin were pressing high up the pitch not giving the Vipers any time on the ball. Eventually this took its toll with the Hitchin players and with 6 minutes to go before the end of the game fatigue was setting in all over the pitch and the Vipers with a very young squad took there chances and scored 2 very quick goals and then just before full time hit a wonder strike from the left hand side.

Final score 5-8 to the Vipers.

It was a fantastic match to watch with end to end action and both teams playing good football. I would like to mention a couple of names that had a very good game today for Hitchin,
Day, Coffey, Amies, Higgs and Spang but player of the match goes to Jess Elliott who had an outstanding game.

Hitchin Town Women’s FC Canaries were away to Everett Ladies. Here is what manager Jamie had to say:

The Canaries made the journey to Watford to face a tough Everett team. The game started well with both teams playing some good football. Everett had a corner early on which unfortunately led to a penalty with a slight push from Schofield. Stand in goalkeeper Harrower did her best and managed to get a finger to it but unfortunately it was not enough. The game began to open up and Allen found herself through on goal from some great build up play from Hitchin only for the keeper to save. Unfortunately this led to an early attack for Everett who took advantage and made it 2-0. After the half time chat we mixed things up a bit with players swapping positions Edwards went upfront with D’Isola going on to the wing. We also bought Lewis into the action. Hitchin began the stronger team creating plenty of chances but struggled to hit the net. Our training sessions from this week had started to come into the game as we scored from a great corner delivered by Edwards which we had worked on at training to be tapped in by Jarrard. Hitchin continued to press creating numerous amounts of chances but some unfair play from the linesman meant they were wasted. Due to challenging decisions from the oppositions lines person Allen dropped back into her half and made the run from her own half to find the top of the net with an outstanding effort. Unfortunately legs got tired and we did not have any subs so Everett managed to get through two more times. But Hitchin were by far the better team today but unfortunately that’s football and if you do not take your chances you get punished. Final score 4-2 and player of the game was Joiner on her debut for the club. We bounce back next week

Sunday 26th September 2021 fixtures are as follows at Ickleford Sports & Recreation Ground, Chambers Lane, Ickleford, Hitchin, SG5 3YA.

Beds & Herts Women’s Football League Divison One

12:00 – HTWFC XI v Knebworth Women First

Beds & Herts Women’s Football League Division Two

14:00 – HTWFC Canaries v Watton Ladies

Keep up to date on our Twitter with all the live scores @HitchinTownWFC or on Facebook, Hitchin Town Womens FC

We are still continuing to recruit for players for the 2021/2022 season. We train Wednesday evenings at The Arena, Norton Road, Baldock, Hertfordshire, SG7 5AU. Training starts at 20:30 and finishes at 22:00, all abilities welcome!